LAS VEGAS, Aug. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) has released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility Executive Summary, highlighting the company's continued commitment to diversity, engagement with its communities, and stewardship of environmental resources. Themed "Inspiring Our World", the summary is available for download on the company's CSR website, www.mgmresorts.com/csr.
"We are proud of the strides we have made over the last year in our continued efforts to fully integrate social responsibility throughout all levels of our company's operations," said Jim Murren, Chairman & CEO of MGM Resorts International.
"We strongly believe our CSR efforts make us not only a better company; they also make us a better citizen. We are committed to enhancing and expanding our philanthropy, diversity and sustainability initiatives in ways that help improve our community," continued Murren, a CR Magazine 2013 winner of the Responsible CEO of the Year Award.
From introducing the gaming industry's first formal diversity and inclusion initiative in 2000 to building the world's largest LEED Gold-certified "green" complex at CityCenter, or motivating its employees to donate more than 109,000 volunteer hours last year, CSR is foundational to the company's culture.
Recognized in 2013 by PR News with its Overall CSR Practice Award, the company outlines additional CSR milestones in its report, including:
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Approximately 64 percent of the Company's 62,000 employees are minorities. In the management ranks, about 43 percent of employees in the supervisory ranks are women, and 38 percent of employees in the supervisory ranks are minorities.
- Since the creation of its Supplier and Construction Diversity programs in 2001, the Company has spent a cumulative total of more than $3 billion with minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned and disadvantaged enterprises, as well as businesses owned by disabled and lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) individuals.
- In 2013, MGM Resorts earned top accolades for its diversity best practices from national thought leaders, including: DiversityInc Magazine, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and HispanicBusiness Media
- Since its founding in 2002 to 2013, the employee-supported and driven MGM Resorts Foundation has donated $54.4 million to nonprofit organizations for the betterment of American communities.
- In 2013, 89 MGM Resorts Foundation grants provided education support to 39,142 children; food, housing and self-sufficiency assistance to 65,639 individuals and families; and vital assistance such as medical care and mental health counseling to 47,061 individuals and families.
- MGM Resorts' donation in 2013 of more than 461 tons of canned food to Three Square, the leading Las Vegas food bank, earned the distinction of the largest single company donation in the nonprofit's history.
- MGM Resorts achieved an annual recycling diversion rate of 52.6%, exceeding the company's goal of a 50% diversion rate by the end of 2013. Nearly 65,000 tons of materials were diverted from landfills and recycled.
- In 2013, MGM Resorts upgraded more than 160 acres of exterior lighting to high efficiency technology, helping the company save 24 million kilowatt hours of electricity since 2012.
- 15 properties within MGM Resorts have received Green Key Eco-Ratings, while 5 properties were awarded a Green Key Meetings "5-Key" rating.
- Philanthropy & Community Engagement
- Environmental Sustainability
For more information about MGM Resorts International's commitment to corporate social responsibility, please visit: www.mgmresorts.com/csr.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is one of the world's leading global hospitality companies, operating destination resort brands including Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay and The Mirage. The Company also owns 51% of MGM China Holdings Limited, which owns the MGM Macau Resort and Casino and is in the process of developing a gaming resort in Cotai, and 50% of CityCenter in Las Vegas, which features ARIA Resort and Casino. For more information about MGM Resorts International, visit the Company's website at www.mgmresorts.com.
SOURCE MGM Resorts International