CAMPBELL, Calif., June 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- A new report released today by Mobile Experts predicts an industry shift away from the 3GPP roadmap, which calls for evolution to 8x8 MIMO (Multiple Input-Multiple Output) technology.
"Field testing has shown limited benefit from the simple addition of more antennas and early implementation of Multi-User MIMO," said Joe Madden, Principal Analyst at Mobile Experts. "Instead of blindly following the 3GPP evolution path, mobile operators are looking for different, creative ways to boost throughput and capacity. Interference cancellation and Cooperative Multipoint (CoMP), as well as advanced MU-MIMO, will be important technologies during the next few years."
"Mobile Experts is the only analyst firm that focuses on the radio chain for both infrastructure and device markets. In the case of MIMO, it is critical to examine concerns of suppliers of a huge variety of equipment, ranging from base stations and femtocells to smartphones, tablets, and PC modems. In particular, the concerns of device suppliers regarding size, battery life, and cost are critical in the technology choices for the 2014-2016 timeframe."
The new report, MIMO Adoption in Mobile Communications, can be found at http://www.mobile-experts.net, and provides:
- A broad overview of the market drivers which are pushing mobile operators toward new architectures;
- Technical analysis and block diagrams for devices and infrastructure;
- Insightful analysis of:
- Infrastructure in the macro layer, including macrocells, microcells and picocells;
- Femtocell adoption of MIMO antenna techniques;
- Expected architectures for DAS, repeaters, and relays;
- Device migration from Tx and Rx diversity to higher order MIMO
- Cost vs. Benefit analysis of MIMO in:
- Handsets and other devices;
- Base stations using Remote Radio Heads (RRH)
- Forecast spreadsheets predict market size and segmentation through 2016:
- By device type (PC embedded modems, tablets, smartphones, feature phones);
- By infrastructure type (Macrocell, microcell, picocell, femtocell, DAS, repeater, relay);
- By uplink vs. downlink;
- By MIMO type (SISO, SIMO, 2x2, 4x2, 4x4, etc.);
- Predictions of alternatives to MIMO are presented.
About Mobile Experts LLC:
Mobile Experts provides insightful market analysis for the mobile infrastructure and mobile handset markets. Research topics center on technology introduction for radio frequency (RF) and communications innovation. Recent publications focus on Multi-Standard Radio Base Stations, Semiconductors for Remote Radio Heads, Outdoor DAS, In-Building Wireless, and Small Cells and HetNets.
SOURCE Mobile Experts LLC