Mobile Year in Review 2010 Animated Recap Unveiled
Social Media, Apps, Data Growth Among Key 2010 Trends
WASHINGTON, Dec. 13, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Mobile Future today released a three-minute original animation that takes a rapid-fire tour of key consumer and technology mobile trends across an eventful 2010. The video highlights the staggering growth in consumer mobile usage across a dizzying array of applications and social media platforms.
"As we head into 2011, now is a good time to reflect on the astounding pace of change in the mobile space this year," said Mobile Future Chairman Jonathan Spalter. "From mobile social networking to new devices, broader coverage and unprecedented choice, the wireless sector is a true model of success in today's innovation economy. This recap video is a clear testament that consumer demand is driving the wireless ecosystem and mobile innovators are stepping up to expand opportunities, compete vigorously and deliver services beyond our wildest imaginations."
The Mobile Year in Review-2010 video can be viewed here http://www.mobilefuture.org/yearendvideo. Key highlights:
- Massive increase in apps downloaded:
- FIVE BILLION apps downloaded - up from 300 million in 2009
- Whopping expansion of location-based services
- FIVE MILLION Foursquare users - up from 200,000 users in 2009
- Surge in social media mobile platforms
- 347 PERCENT growth in Twitter mobile usage
- 200 MILLION mobile Facebook Users
- 100 MILLION YouTube videos played on mobile devices everyday
- Ongoing explosion in data traffic
- 3,000 PERCENT growth in one carrier's data traffic since 2008
- 3,339: average number of texts sent per month by U.S. teens.
- Unprecedented competition and choice
- 96 PERCENT of mobile users can choose from 3 or more providers
- 92 PERCENT of mobile users are satisfied with their provider
- 4 CENTS: average voice rate per minute in the U.S.
- 77 MILLION: number of smartphones shipped in the fall of 2010.
To learn more about the growth in mobile this year, visit: http://www.mobilefuture.org/yearendvideo.
Mobile Future is a broad-based coalition of businesses, non-profit organizations and individuals interested in and dedicated to advocating for an environment in which innovations in wireless technology and services are enabled and encouraged. Our mission is to educate the public and key decision makers on innovations in the wireless industry that have transformed the way Americans work and play and to advocate continued investment in wireless technologies. www.mobilefuture.org
SOURCE Mobile Future