ROCKVILLE, Md., June 27, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Family owned and operated MOM's Organic Market made its first sale on July 2nd, 1987, when Scott Nash (founder) hand-delivered a box of fresh organic produce to a customer on Evelyn Drive in Rockville, MD. 17 stores and 1,000 employees later, on this July 2nd, MOM's will celebrate its 30th anniversary with an in-store celebration from 11am-3pm at all locations!
During these 30 years, MOM's has made some tremendous strides to further its Purpose to protect and restore the environment:
- In 2005, became the first grocery chain to ban plastic grocery bags, preventing the use of over 18 million plastic bags.
- Made free car charging stations available for customers at 16 locations.
- In 2008, made in-store composting and recycling for hard-to-dispose-of items available to customers (i.e. corks, eyeglasses, cell phones, household batteries, and shoes).
- In 2010, performed "Plastic Surgery", reducing the use of plastics and becoming the first retail chain to ban the sale of plastic bottled water.
- In 2011, began to offset the carbon emissions of customer trips to and from their stores.
- By installing solar panels at 2 stores and launching a MOM's Solar Farm in Kingsville, MD, they now generate enough renewable energy to cover over 25% of their 17 stores' total energy needs.
- Donate over $500,000 every year to environmental organizations who strive to make their communities more sustainable.
- Each store volunteers at community cleanups and events year-round.
- Train a multitude of Environmental Restoration Captains in each location to become the subject matter expert in recycling, renewable energy, and green initiatives customers and other stakeholders can participate in on a day-to-day basis.
- Offer innovative sections such as sustainable insect proteins, Backyard Beekeeping, exclusively green-rated sustainable seafood, GOTS certified organic and sustainable clothing, and zero waste bulk offerings.
"I started this company out of my mom's garage in 1987 with an initial investment of $100," says Founder/CEO, Scott Nash. "Thanks to our customers and employees, we're celebrating this momentous day and the efforts to make the world a better place to live!"
The stores' 30th Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, July 2nd will feature: meet and greets with local environmental organizations, local tastings, family activities, and much more. Join them when #MOMsTurns30!
Founded in 1987, MOM's has grown to become the Mid-Atlantic region's premier chain of family owned and operated organic grocery stores. With stores in four states and DC, MOM's pays a $12 minimum wage and encourages employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/moms-organic-market-celebrates-its-30th-anniversary-july-2nd-300480413.html
SOURCE MOM's Organic Market