CHANHASSEN, Minn., April 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- This year approximately 176,000 cases of childhood cancer worldwide will be diagnosed in children 14 and younger. Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to more than 80 percent since it opened its doors more than 50 years ago. As St. Jude Children's Research Hospital® continues to drive the overall childhood cancer survival rate to 90 percent, Life Time – The Healthy Way of Life Company is joining their efforts.
On May 1, more than 90 Life Time Fitness and Life Time Athletic destinations nationwide will host the first-ever "Ride for a Reason" fundraising event, open to both members and non-members of Life Time. All proceeds from the event will benefit St. Jude as it is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. In addition, a portion also will go to the Life Time Foundation, a public charity committed to improving children's nutrition by improving school meals.
This event welcomes all ages and abilities of individuals to be a part of this important cause – from avid cyclists to those who've never tried indoor cycling before.
How It Works:
- "Ride for a Reason" is a one-day event that will consist of a four hour indoor cycling ride with teams of up to four riding in alternation for four hours.
- Participants will be asked to fundraise a minimum of $1,000 to secure a bike. Individual riders must commit to raise a minimum of $250 for each hour they commit to riding.
- Each team will be given their own fundraising website after registering for the event that consists of tools to help measure progress, increase fundraising, coaching emails and personalized fundraising pages to motivate donors.
Reasons to Ride:
- All proceeds from the event will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, as well as the Life Time Foundation.
- Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
- Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall survival rate for childhood cancer from 20 to 80 percent. St. Jude is working to drive the overall survival rate for childhood cancer to 90 percent, and will not stop until no child dies from cancer.
- St. Jude freely shares the discoveries it makes, and every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children.
- St. Jude has treated children from all 50 states. The Life Time Foundation is currently working with more than 300 schools nationwide.
- The Life Time Foundation is committed to improving children's nutrition through education and the elimination of highly processed and unnatural ingredients from school menus.
- Registration is open now through April 30. Participants can choose their Life Time host location and register online at www.lifetimeride.stjude.org.
- Join or form a team. Participants will be asked to join or form a team of up to four people. Each team's fundraising goal needs to be a minimum of $1,000 or more. Limited space is available for participants who sign up as an individual.
- Contact your local Life Time or visit www.lifetimeride.stjude.org for more information on a "Ride for a Reason" happening near you.
About St. Jude Children's Research Hospital®
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Everything we do is centered on our mission: Finding cures. Saving children. And families never receive a bill from St. Jude. We pay for treatment, travel, housing and food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live. By sharing our knowledge freely and exchanging ideas openly, we're inspiring more collaboration between doctors and researchers worldwide, and, as a result, more lifesaving treatments for children everywhere. Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to 80 percent since it opened more than 50 years ago. We are working to drive the overall survival rate of childhood cancer to 90 percent, and we won't stop until no child dies from cancer. Because most of our funding comes from individual supporters, we have the freedom to focus on what matters most – saving kids regardless of their financial situation. At St. Jude, we won't give up. We do everything possible to end childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Join the St. Jude mission by visiting www.stjude.org, liking St. Jude on Facebook (www.facebook.com/stjude) and following us on Twitter (@stjude).
About the Life Time Foundation
As a public charity created by Life Time, The Healthy Way of Life Company, the Life Time Foundation's mission is to inspire healthy people and a healthy planet—one school meal at a time. Currently, the Foundation is focused on improving children's nutrition through education and the elimination of highly processed and unnatural ingredients from school lunch menus, ensuring every child has a healthy start in life. Unlike many other charitable organizations in which a portion of donations is consumed by administrative costs, 100% of every dollar donated to the Life Time Foundation directly supports its mission because all administrative costs are contributed by Life Time. For more information, visit www.ltffoundation.org.
About Life TimeSM, The Healthy Way of Life Company
Life Time is a privately held, comprehensive health and lifestyle company that offers a personalized and scientific approach to long-term health and wellness. Through its portfolio of distinctive resort-like destinations, athletic events and corporate health services, the Healthy Way of Life Company helps members achieve their goals everyday with the support of a team of dedicated professionals and an array of proprietary health assessments. As of April 11, 2016 the company operates 119 centers in 26 states and 35 major markets under the LIFE TIME FITNESS® and LIFE TIME ATHLETIC® brands in the United States and Canada. Additional information is available at www.lifetimefitness.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/more-than-90-us-locations-to-host-indoor-cycling-events-to-support-st-jude-childrens-research-hospital-on-may-1-300249426.html
SOURCE Life Time Fitness, Inc.