More Than Four-in-Ten U.S. Adults Report They Only Buy Clothing When It's on Sale, Finds CouponCabin.com Spring Shopping Survey --More Than One-Third of Women Plan to Take Spring Fashion Trends Into Consideration This Season--
WHITING, Ind., March 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With spring officially in bloom, many Americans are cleaning out their closets and buying new clothes for warmer weather. A new survey from CouponCabin.com reveals that many of those shoppers will be on the hunt for apparel bargains. More than four-in-ten (41 percent) of U.S. adults who do any clothing shopping report they only buy clothing on sale, while nearly one-quarter (23 percent) of U.S. adults said their shopping strategy involves doing whatever they can to save money. This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of CouponCabin from March 6th – March 8th, 2012 among 2,254 U.S. adults ages 18 and older.
While some shoppers said they do whatever it takes to save money, others report they have specific clothing shopping strategies. When asked how they would best describe how they usually shop for clothing for themselves or others in their household, U.S. adults said the following:
- Go to a store, find what I want, buy it in store – 46 percent
- Look for deal or coupon first, that will determine what I purchase – 10 percent
- Find item I want to purchase, then look for deal or coupon before making the purchase– 7 percent
- Go online, find what I want and buy it online – 10 percent
Sometimes preferred shopping routines include only shopping at the same stores. Forty-five percent of U.S. adults who do any clothes shopping said they are loyal to particular clothing stores, with 18 percent saying they are loyal to one or two stores in particular. On the flip side, 33 percent said they shop wherever they can find the best deals.
When asked how much money they typically spend on clothing for themselves and/or anyone else in their household per month, those U.S. adults who do clothes shopping said the following:
- $1 - $50 – 60 percent
- $51 - $100 – 21 percent
- $101 or more – 20 percent
"Regardless of clothes shopping budgets, savvy shoppers are employing a variety of tactics to help lessen the bruising on their bank accounts," said Jackie Warrick, President and Chief Savings Officer at CouponCabin.com.
Staying fashionable on a budget can be challenging. More than one-third (34 percent) of U.S. adult women who plan to shop for clothing this spring season said they plan to take spring fashion trends, like colored denim, bold prints and peplum skirts/dresses, into consideration when shopping this season. Warrick offers the following tips for staying fashion conscious this spring without taking a hit to your wallet:
- Give DIY a try – Why buy something you could make yourself? Get inspired to give DIY a try by checking out fashion blogs and sites like Pinterest. Then, head to stores like Joann for fabric and other DIY necessities.
- Go bold – Bright colors are en vogue this season. Before you break the bank on new items, consider buying a few eye-catching accessories to update your overall look, like belts, shoes and scarves.
- Trends for less – You don't have to go to high-end stores to add a dose of trendiness to your spring wardrobe. Check out coupons from stores like Express and J.C. Penney to help you save on this season's fresh new items.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of CouponCabin from March 6th – March 8th, 2012 among 2,254 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore, no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact: Allison Nawoj, email@example.com.
CouponCabin.com is a leading online destination for coupons including online coupon codes, printables, grocery coupons and more. Shoppers have saved nearly $250 million since 2003 and with the largest selection of coupons guaranteed to work, CouponCabin is the best place to start searching for savings. The average user saves $19 in just 80 seconds on the site. With customized email newsletters, browser savings alerts, new coupon alerts and more, shoppers will never miss out on a great deal with CouponCabin. For more information, please visit http://www.CouponCabin.com.