More Than One-Third of U.S. Adults At Least Somewhat Likely to Use Layaway for Holiday Shopping, Reveals New CouponCabin Survey
WHITING, Ind., Oct. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Several major retailers have launched their holiday layaway programs this fall, prompting some consumers to include layaway as part of their shopping strategy. A new CouponCabin.com survey reveals that more than one-third (34 percent) of U.S. adults are at least somewhat likely to purchase items on layaway this holiday season. Nearly one-in-ten (9 percent) said it is very likely they will do so. This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of CouponCabin from September 13th – 17th, 2012 among 2,339 adults ages 18 and older.
Some stores offer their layaway services online, making trips to the store for payments obsolete. Twenty-nine percent of U.S. adults said they might consider purchasing an item using online layaway this holiday season.
The positive aspects to using layaway are varied. When asked what they believe are the benefits to using a layaway program for holiday shopping, U.S. adults said the following:
- Helps a person buy larger items for the holidays that they couldn't afford to buy all at once – 54 percent
- Helps a person budget his or her money – 52 percent
- Helps a person avoid using credit cards – 46 percent
- Helps a person plan ahead – 43 percent
- Lets a person reserve a popular item when they want it – 43 percent
- A person doesn't need to have good credit to use the programs – 33 percent
- Other – 2 percent
"Layaway can be a smart option for holiday shoppers on a budget, as it forces shoppers to be disciplined about saving and reduces impulse purchases," said Jackie Warrick, President and Chief Savings Officer at CouponCabin.com. "At the same time, those who are considering layaway this holiday season should be aware of the possible fees that may exist and whether or not a layaway program fits their needs before they commit."
When asked what they believe are the drawbacks of using a layaway program for holiday shopping, U.S. adults said the following:
- There's a charge to cancelling a layaway order – 43 percent
- The service fees end up making it not worth it – 41 percent
- Can't use it for all types of items (i.e. electronics, food and jewelry are often exempt) – 35 percent
- The deadlines for completing payments aren't long enough – 22 percent
- It can be confusing – 16 percent
- Other – 8 percent
Warrick offers the following tips for shoppers thinking of using layaway as part of their holiday shopping strategy this year:
- Read the fine print: Before you sign on the dotted line, take a moment to understand all the terms and conditions to your layaway agreement. The due diligence will pay off in the long run so you aren't penalized by unknown fees.
- Seek out free programs: Some stores, like Kmart, are offering free layaway programs (on top of already low prices) this season, so be sure to pay attention to these offers.
- Plan ahead: Certain layaway programs may make you wait months before you can pay off your purchases. Factor in that extra time into your holiday shopping schedule to make sure you get the gifts you need on time.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Coupon Cabin from September 13th – 17th, 2012 among 2,339 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Lauren Boukas, firstname.lastname@example.org.
CouponCabin.com is a leading online destination for coupons including online coupon codes, printables, grocery coupons and more. Shoppers have saved nearly $350 million since 2003 and with the largest selection of coupons guaranteed to work, CouponCabin is the best place to start searching for savings. The average user saves $19 in just 80 seconds on the site. With customized email newsletters, browser savings alerts, new coupon alerts and more, shoppers will never miss out on a great deal with CouponCabin. For more information, please visit http://www.CouponCabin.com.