More Veterans Finding Career Opportunities At AT&T
Recruiting Success Leads AT&T to Double Hiring Goal to 10,000; Veterans Prove Good Fit as Company Staffs for Network Expansion
JACKSON, Miss., Nov. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 3,600 veterans have started new careers at AT&T across the country so far this year. And with veterans' skills proving to be a good fit for the company's needs, AT&T is doubling its hiring goal for veterans and their family members to 10,000 over the next five years, consistent with its commitment to equal employment opportunities.
About 55 percent of the veterans hired by AT&T this year made their transition to the private sector as technicians. Project Velocity IP, the company's investment plan to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks, is driving technician hiring needs.
Other veterans and their family members are finding positions across AT&T as IT professionals, retail and call center representatives, project managers, financial analysts, supply chain managers and more. And a select corps of junior officers and college-educated noncommissioned officers are being recruited into AT&T leadership development programs.
The importance of hiring veterans in Mississippi was highlighted earlier this year when Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant proclaimed 2013 as the "Year to Hire Mississippi Heroes."
"AT&T has a long standing tradition of honoring and valuing our veterans," said AT&T Mississippi President Mayo Flynt. "We are proud to help returning servicemen and women transition from active duty to civilian careers here in Mississippi."
AT&T's goal of hiring 10,000 veterans and their family members over the next five years doubles a goal it set in April with the White House's Joining Forces Initiative. AT&T also announced then that it is leading an initiative with JPMorgan Chase and the 100,000 Jobs Mission to create the veteran talent exchange, www.vtx.jobs. The exchange enables active-duty military and veteran job candidates to "opt-in" to a talent-sharing database to facilitate the sharing and referral of veteran candidates among participating 100,000 Jobs Mission member companies.
AT&T actively supports veterans and their family members:
- AT&T has a veteran career site that includes tools for veterans to match their military skills with AT&T jobs.
- AT&T launched a military spouse career site that showcases the breadth of AT&T's portable and virtual careers across our US locations.
- AT&T's military talent attraction manager focuses on military recruitment.
- The company has a Careers for Veterans program where AT&T Veterans provide job search advice to veterans transitioning from military service.
- The AT&T Veterans employee resource group has more than 7,000 members. The group is in its 30th year and mobilizes AT&T veterans as recruitment ambassadors and for community outreach and volunteerism opportunities.
- AT&T has been a pioneer and leader in the inclusion of disabled-veteran-owned business enterprises in the corporate supply chain through a program called Operation Hand Salute.
- AT&T also works with multiple organizations such as Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, Military Spouse Employment Partnership, Military Child Education Coalition, the Department of Veterans' Affairs and state veterans' agencies and commissions.
- AT&T was named one of 2012's Best Military Talent Programs by Electronic Recruiting Exchange, the premier recruiting industry association.
- AT&T was recognized by the Direct Employers Association for our veteran recruiting programs.
- The Military Times EDGE Best for Vets ranked AT&T No. 12 for 2013.
- GI Jobs Magazine has recognized AT&T on their Top 100 Military Friendly Employer List for nine years running.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV service with the AT&T U-verse® brand. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
4G LTE speed claim based on national carriers' average 4G LTE download speeds. Reliability claim based on data transfer completion rates on nationwide 4G LTE networks. 4G LTE availability varies.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.
More by this Source
AT&T 4G LTE Available in Ketchikan
Apr 23, 2014, 00:01 ET
AT&T 4G LTE Available In Meadville
Apr 23, 2014, 00:01 ET
AT&T Adds Amdocs And Juniper To Its "User-Defined Network Cloud" Supplier Program
Apr 22, 2014, 16:06 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.