Mountain Biking Opportunities Abound in The Alleghenies
ALTOONA, Pa., April 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Alleghenies embraces the natural topography of the land to provide first-class mountain biking trails for cyclists, including Pennsylvania's only International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) EPIC ride (Roth Rock Ride) as well as a slate of upcoming events and competitions.
While the on-road cycling offering remains the most well-known (hosted the 1992 Olympic Road Trials and annually host one of the largest pro-amateur races in the country, the Tour de Toona), the region is emerging as a mountain biking hot spot as noted by Men's Journal, "One of the Top 4 Bike Trails (Allegrippis) in the Country."
From beginner friendly rolling terrain to harrowing rock gardens along a ridgeline traverse, mountain bikers will appreciate the wealth of detail provided online via the downloadable cue sheets, trail descriptions and elevation/terrain profiles.
This summer The Alleghenies offers enthusiasts top-notch events:
May 20-22, 2011
- Dirt Rag Magazine presents this annual event focused on endorsing and educating sustainable mountain bike trail systems
- Features scheduled IMBA trail clinics, industry demo and expo area, group rides, live music, Pennsylvania beer tasting and more
May 29-June 4, 2011
- 7-day stage race covering more than 250 miles
- ride the best trails (Allegrippis, Roth Rock Ride, etc.) in The Alleghenies against some of the best male/female riders in the country
With more than 100 miles of singletrack in The Alleghenies it's no surprise that National Geographic Adventure named the (Allegrippis) trails "first-rate." Here are a few buzz worthy trails:
- trails vary in elevation (1,000 to 2,400 feet) and terrain -- from the oldest and largest grove of hemlocks in the country to narrow, rocky singletrack with epic views
- easy accessibility to I-80 (10 miles) and State College provides a gateway for supplies/equipment to tackle the trails
- with varying skill levels (green/beginner, blue/intermediate and black/advanced) and trails arranged as 24 stacked loops providing a plethora of options
- the entire trail system was designed in conjunction with IMBA
- local concessionaires also provide rental opportunities
The Alleghenies: The Alleghenies Tourism Council is a partnership of organizations interested in further developing the tourism industry and economic development opportunities in an eight county region in Southcentral Pennsylvania. www.TheAlleghenies.com
SOURCE The Alleghenies Tourism Council
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.