"Mr. Food" Kicks Off National Mushroom Month with Five Ways to Celebrate
Cooking Icon Visits the Mushroom Capital of the World
SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- This September, nationally syndicated television personality Art Ginsburg, A.K.A. Mr. Food, will share footage from his travels to Kennett Square, PA —the Mushroom Capital of the World—and five of his favorite ways to celebrate National Mushroom Month.
"I sampled lots of mushroom dishes during my visit and saw first-hand how versatile mushrooms are—they pair with just about everything, no matter how you cook 'em," said Mr. Food.
Inspired by the festivities in town, Mr. Food, the king of quick and easy, whipped up a simple grilling recipe for Mushroom Sliders featuring meaty portabellas. "The portabella's hearty texture gives any burger a run for its money," he said of the delicious dish.
Try this recipe at home and stay tuned to Mr. Food in September for more mouthwatering mushroom recipes. [Full Mushroom Sliders recipe available below.]
Join the festivities! Follow Mr. Food's five tips to celebrate mushrooms every day, every way throughout September:
- Vote in the "Mushroom Masters" Competition: Visit Tastespotting.com once a week in September to cheer on top American food bloggers in a global mushroom photo recipe contest.
- Discover Nature's Hidden Treasure: Mushrooms are the star of the produce aisle thanks to their nutritional benefits – a natural source of vitamin D, B vitamins and antioxidants – value and versatility.
- Go Pink to Support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Look for mushrooms in pink packages in support of breast cancer research at City of Hope, one of the nation's leading cancer research institutions.
- Devote a Day to Mushroom Meals: Mushrooms are kitchen staples that bring flavor and volume to any dish without adding significant calories, fat, cholesterol or sodium. Pick a day to add mushrooms to every meal. Make a frittata for breakfast. Fold them into a sandwich for lunch. Serve savory mushroom pasta for dinner. The possibilities are endless!
- Cook Mushrooms Like a Pro: Click here to check out a collection of the best mushroom recipes and videos from the Mr. Food Test Kitchen.
The United States Department of Agriculture has officially proclaimed September to be National Mushroom Month. Follow the Mushroom Channel on Twitter and Facebook and visit www.mushroominfo.com for the latest news, recipes and ways to celebrate.
2 large portabella mushrooms, stems remove
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup garlic herb spread
8 small slider rolls, split and toasted
8 tomato slices
8 red onion slices
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine mushrooms and vinaigrette. Close bag and gently toss until evenly coated. Marinate 30 to 60 minutes. Remove mushrooms to a plate and season both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a grill pan over medium heat then coat with cooking spray. Place mushrooms on grill pan and cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until mushrooms are heated through.
Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Cut each mushroom into quarters. Spread garlic herb spread evenly on both sides of rolls. Top with mushrooms, tomato, and onion. Serve immediately.
About The Mushroom Council:
The Mushroom Council is composed of fresh market producers or importers who average more than 500,000 pounds of mushrooms produced or imported annually. The mushroom program is authorized by the Mushroom Promotion, Research and Consumer Information Act of 1990 and is administered by the Mushroom Council under the supervision of the Agricultural Marketing Service. Research and promotion programs help to expand, maintain and develop markets for individual agricultural commodities in the United States and abroad. These industry self-help programs are requested and funded by the industry groups that they serve. For more information on the Mushroom Council, visit mushroomcouncil.org.
SOURCE The Mushroom Council
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.