The MFPC cited his most recent efforts to:
- Successful inclusion of a provision recognizing the carbon benefits of forest biomass energy in the FY17 Interior Appropriations bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives
- Encouraged the EPA under the Clean Water Act to keep management of water quality programs at the local level through state Best Management Practices (BMPs)
- Spearheaded reports confirming the ongoing relationship between strong markets for wood products and sustainable forestry in the U.S.
- Supported a stay in the Waters of the U.S. rule issued by the U.S. EPA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in order to determine its legality
- Aided in the incorporation of many forestry provisions in The Agricultural Act of 2014 that help ensure forests will continue providing benefits, including jobs throughout rural America
The annual Tuebor Award recognizes significant accomplishments in business and natural resource policy. Recognition focuses on leadership in support of well-managed forests that are vital to Michigan's quality of life, environment and economy. "Dave Tenny is an innovator and his support for the forest products industry is a perfect example of his forward thinking. Dave's leadership and unwavering support for sustainable forestry is shared by many within NAFO," said Public Affairs Manager, Verso Corporation, Mark Pontti.
Moreover Pontti added, "This award recognizes not only his forestry advocacy but also an uncommon passion to improve the industry for all landowners and forestry-related businesses. He recognizes the tremendous job creation potential of this renewable, natural-resource-based economy."
The total economic benefit of Michigan's forest products industry in 2014 was $20.3 billion. The state has 19.3 million acres of forestland, including 2.5 million acres of federal National Forests and 312,500 private landowners. Additionally, Michigan's value-added international exports reached $505 million in 2014.
The Michigan Forest Products Council works to promote, protect and sustain a globally competitive forest products industry in Michigan. The Michigan Forest Products Council is a statewide organization representing the forest products industry, which owns millions of acres of timberland and employs over 96,600 men and women in Michigan.
CONTACT: Amanda Hattis, Director of Communications
PHONE: 517.853.8880 || CELL: 989.657.4217 || EMAIL: email@example.com
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20161028/433783LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-alliance-of-forest-owners-president-dave-tenny-receives-tuebor-award-300353450.html
SOURCE Michigan Forest Products Council