National Fishing and Boating Week 2013 Kicks Off June 1
Take Me Fishing Encourages Families and Friends to Turn Summer Stay-Cations into Bay-Cations
ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation's (RBFF) Take Me Fishing™ campaign encourages families, kids and outdoor adventurers to experience the joys of boating and fishing, starting with National Fishing and Boating Week (NFBW), June 1-9, 2013 and heading into the long-awaited summer vacation season.
According to a 2013 nationwide survey conducted on behalf of Take Me Fishing, 81 percent of Americans plan to stay at home for all or some of this summer's vacation. During NFBW, families should transform their summer stay-cations into bay-cations, turning time off work into time on their nearest lake, river, stream or coastline.
"Nearly everyone is within an hour of a place to fish and boat, making affordable family activities that are perfect for spending time together, connecting with the outdoors and just relaxing very accessible," said RBFF President and CEO Frank Peterson. "Whether it's for an afternoon or longer, you'll create memories that last a lifetime."
Here are some great ways to take advantage of NFBW:
- Free Fishing Days: Perfect for those who are new to the sport or who want to mentor others, most states offer free fishing days during NFBW, that allow the public to fish without having to purchase a fishing license.
- Special events: Sites all over the country will host events, such as fishing derbies, regattas, boating demonstrations, festivals and more.
- Kids' activities: TakeMeFishing.org's Little Lunkers section offers games and information to learn before getting out on the water, and even certificates to commemorate their catch.
- Plan a Father's Day outing: Also according to the survey, a family outing was named the best type of Father's Day gift, beating out traditional sports tickets and power tools. Surprise him with fishing gear, his own license and a day on the water with the family. TakeMeFishing.org has all the resources you need to make it happen, including a printable coupon that kids can print out and put in a card for dad.
- Conservation through Participation: Buying a fishing license and registering a boat helps fund efforts to conserve our natural waterways through projects such as fisheries research, habitat improvement, fish stocking, aquatic education and fishing and boating access facilities such as docks and boat ramps.
TakeMeFishing.org also has information on fishing reports, boat ramps and hotspots, how-to information and a community for those who are into everything from fly fishing to boat maintenance.
"Whether you want to learn how to tie a knot or know where the closest boat ramp is, we have everything you need to learn, plan and equip yourself for a day on the water," said Peterson.
For additional details on National Fishing and Boating Week, including great places to fish and boat in your area, visit TakeMeFishing.org.
About The Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF)
Celebrating 15 years in 2013, RBFF is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to increase participation in recreational angling and boating, thereby protecting and restoring the nation's aquatic natural resources. RBFF developed the award-winning Take Me Fishing™ campaign to create awareness around boating, fishing and conservation, and educate people about the benefits of participation. Take Me Fishing helps boaters and anglers of all ages and experience levels learn, plan and equip for a day on the water. The campaign website, TakeMeFishing.org, features tips and how-to's that can be used all over the country, tools to compare different styles of boats, information on how to get a fishing license and boat registration, and an interactive state-by-state map that allows visitors to find local boating and fishing spots.
"Like" us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/TakeMeFishing
Follow @us on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/Take_Me_Fishing. #NFBW
SOURCE The Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF)
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.