WASHINGTON, Nov. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released by the National Press Club:
Newsmaker: Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent, Vermont
TOPIC: "THE FISCAL CLIFF AND THE NEED TO PROTECT AMERICANS"
DATE: Wednesday, December 5
TIME: 10 a.m.
WHERE: Zenger Room of the National Press Club, 529 14th St. NW, Washington, DC
The junior U.S. senator representing Vermont, Sanders will discuss ongoing budget negotiations, the so-called fiscal cliff and the need to protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid from potential cuts.
Sanders, a self-described democratic socialist, is the first person elected to the U.S. Senate to identify as a socialist in 60 years. As an Independent, he frequently caucuses with Democrats. Sanders composed an open letter to his Democratic colleagues in the Senate in which he laid out five points he believes should be opposed:
- Cutting Social Security benefits for current retirees.
- Cutting veterans' benefits.
- Raising the retirement age to 69 years.
- Cutting Social Security benefits for middle-class workers.
- Reducing tax rates for the wealthy and large corporations.
SOURCE National Press Club