National Survey Uncovers the Truth about Partial Dentures, Finds Few are Doing Enough to Ensure that their Partial Dentures are Always in Good Condition Results suggest social stigma attached to partial denture wearers
PITTSBURGH, May 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare today released results from a new national survey of partial dentures wearers (PDWs), revealing that while over half of survey respondents (58%)1 report that it's important to them to maintain the health of their teeth - more so than their diet (46%) or skin (11%)1 - more than one third (36%)1 of respondents did not change any of their behaviors within the first year of wearing their partial denture. Incidentally, the teeth on either side of a partial denture are twice as likely to be lost compared to other teeth in a partial denture wearer's mouth.
PDWs make up almost six percent (18.5 million people)2 of the U.S. adult population; the average PDW is only 40 years old.2 While the health of PDWs' existing teeth is deeply important to them, and they don't want to face the trauma of more tooth loss, survey results revealed that few are doing enough to ensure that their partial denture is always in good condition.1
"Partial dentures impact many dimensions of a person's life, including appearance, relationships and confidence," said Ekaterina Kletter, Brand Manager, GSK Consumer Healthcare. "These survey results revealed that more than half of the survey respondents (51%) say that their confidence/self-esteem has been negatively impacted by wearing a partial denture.1 What many people don't know is that taking proper care of your partial denture is a big step to preserving a healthy smile."
With all these factors weighing in, more than half (51%)1 of PDWs agree that losing teeth has made them try to take better care of their teeth. Although some of the PDWs have changed their dental health habits after tooth loss to prevent further damage of their natural teeth,1 they have failed to implement the same routines with their partial denture.1 Many people may not know that proper care of a partial denture is an important part of a good oral healthcare routine. Just recently, POLIDENT and POLIGRIP have introduced a new line of products designed especially for PDWs:
- POLIGRIP® Denture Adhesive For Partials Seal and Protect stabilizes the partial denture and helps create a snug, firm yet comfortable fit to reduce movement against the gums and teeth next to the partial.
- POLIDENT® Denture Cleanser For Partials Clean and Protect is specifically formulated to clean partial dentures without scratching the soft denture material, unlike regular toothpaste. The unique formula releases active oxygen to help kill 99.9% of odor-causing bacteria.
"Many people are not aware of the effect that partial dentures can have on existing teeth," said Kletter. "Partial denture wearers are almost twice as likely to lose the teeth next to their partial denture, compared to the rest of their remaining teeth. It's important to be educated about how to properly care for your partial denture to help protect your remaining teeth."
Partial Dentures are Always Top of Mind
- On average, PDWs think about the fact that they have a partial denture four times a day.1
- Almost eight in ten (79%)1 respondents confess that they feel more informed about how to properly take care of their existing teeth than their partial dentures.
- The possibility that they might lose more teeth is what has made 57 percent1 of PDWs at least a little nervous about visiting a dentist.
- Almost half (44%)1 of Americans with partial dentures think that future tooth loss is inevitable, and not preventable for them.
Respondents Only Partially Aware of Proper Denture Care Regimen
- Almost one in five (13%)1 report that they rarely keep a set routine for cleaning their partial dentures.
- More than a third (34%)1 usually leave their partial dentures in their mouths for 16 hours or longer.
- One in four (25%)1 confess they often wear their partial dentures when they sleep.
Don't Let Tooth Loss Drag You Down
- Visit www.poli-partials.com to ensure that you are properly caring for your partial denture to help protect your remaining natural teeth.
About Partial Dentures:
A removable partial denture or bridge usually consists of replacement teeth attached to a pink or gum-colored plastic base, which is connected by metal framework that holds the denture in place in the mouth. Partial dentures are used when one or more natural teeth remain in the upper or lower jaw. Not only does a partial denture fill in the spaces created by missing teeth, it prevents other teeth from changing position. A precision partial denture is removable and has internal attachments rather than clasps that attach to the adjacent crowns. This is a more natural-looking appliance.3
Wearing a partial can put extra stress on neighboring natural teeth. If it is not held securely in place it can apply pressure to the adjacent teeth, possibly causing them to move. This could increase the risk of losing more teeth over time.
About the Survey
Kelton, on behalf of GlaxoSmithKline, conducted a national survey of 1,039 PDWs to gather insights on the emotional and social impact of wearing partial dentures. The Partial Dentures Survey was conducted between January 3rd and January 10th, 2013 among 1,039 American partial denture wearers ages 18 and over, using an email invitation and an online survey. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. In this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. The margin of error for any subgroups will be slightly higher.
Poligrip® for Partials Seal and Protect Adhesive and Polident for Partials Clean and Protect Cleanser are available in retailers nationwide. For more information about Poligrip® for Partials, please visit www.poli-partials.com.
About GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare is one of the world's largest over-the-counter consumer healthcare products companies. Its well-known brands include Nicorette® and NicoDerm® CQ, the leading smoking cessation products; alli, the only FDA-OTC weight loss aid; as well as medicine cabinet staples, Aquafresh®, Sensodyne®, Tums®, and Breathe Right®, all of which are trademarks owned by and/or licensed to GlaxoSmithKline Group of Companies.
GlaxoSmithKline – one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For company information visit: GSK.com.
1. Partial Dentures Survey. Kelton Research, January 2013.
2. 2010 Denture Wearer Incidence Study.
3. WebMD, Denture Health and Dentures
SOURCE GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare