COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Nationwide claim representatives and agents are assisting members in response to the damages caused by Matthew.
Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent.
After water damage has occurred, the first 24 to 48 hours are crucial in preventing additional damage, according to Ken Enscoe, Nationwide's senior claims director of catastrophe operations.
"We have activated the Nationwide National Catastrophe Team, which will bring more claims representatives to areas with the greatest concentration of damage," Enscoe said. "Temporary storm centers will be set up and claim representatives will set out from these locations to assess the property damage."
Steps to take to protect your property from further damages:
- Be safe! Make sure your electric source adjacent to the damaged area is disconnected.
- If water is flowing into the home, shut off the water supply.
- Only use an appliance designed to remove standing water, such as a wet vac.
- To prevent the growth of bacteria and mildew, immediately place all moist content materials in a dry location.
- Separate content items, such as upholstery, fabrics or other colored items to prevent color bleeding. Blot or wipe wood furniture to remove excess moisture.
- If content items are too heavy to remove, place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and carpeting. Open furniture doors and drawers to expedite drying.
- Place large buckets or pans underneath sagging ceilings. If possible, punch small holes in sagging ceilings to relieve trapped water.
- Use fans to circulate air and assist with drying after removing standing water and establishing it is safe to reconnect electricity. In the summer months, use an air conditioner and dehumidifier if available. Keep thermostat set at or below 70 degrees—increasing the thermostat could promote growth of bacteria and mildew.
- Retain damaged items to allow for proper evaluation.
- Call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or your local agent immediately.
- This information is provided by https://www.nationwide.com/catastrophe-preparation.jsp.
Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners, farm and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; excess & surplus, specialty and surety; pet, motorcycle and boat insurance. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, Nationwide is on your side, Join the Nation and the Nationwide N and Eagle are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nationwide-begins-response-to-matthew-300342065.html