SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- NerdWallet today announced its 2016 Best Credit Cards Awards, offering consumers clarity around the best plastic options in such categories as cash back, travel and fair credit.
"There will never be a one-size-fits-all, best credit card. People have such different wants and needs, from how they use the cards and the rewards they prefer, to the access they have to products based on their credit," said Kevin Yuann, general manager of credit cards at NerdWallet. "That said, certain credit cards offer amazing benefits, and we're proud to give consumers an unbiased look at the top options across a range of categories. The winners of NerdWallet's Best Credit Card Awards Program set the bar extremely high, providing the rewards, flexibility and simplicity consumers deserve."
NerdWallet chose its award-winning cards in a range of categories representing Americans' diverse credit card needs.
NerdWallet's Top 10 Card Award Winners for 2016 are:
- Best for Everyday Spending - Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
- Easiest Travel Redemption (Tie) - Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Best for Fair Credit - Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard
- Best Bonus Categories - Chase Freedom
- Best Business Credit Card - Chase Ink Plus Business Credit Card
- Best for Travel - Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Best for Balance Transfers - Chase Slate
- Best Cash Back - Citi Double Cash Card
- Longest 0% APR Period - Citi Simplicity Card
- Best Student Credit Card - Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students
Although these credit cards represent the best in their respective categories, NerdWallet knows everyone's situation is unique. Consumers can use NerdWallet's free credit card comparison tool to identify the best option for their specific needs.
NerdWallet's credit cards team selected cards in each category based on overall consumer value. Factors in our evaluation included fees, promotional and ongoing APRs and sign-up bonuses; for rewards cards, we considered earning and redemption rates, redemption options and redemption difficulty. A single card was eligible to win in multiple categories.
NerdWallet gives consumers clarity around key financial decisions at every stage of their lives. When it comes to credit cards, insurance, loans or expenses such as hospital costs, consumers make almost all of their decisions in the dark. NerdWallet is changing that, helping guide consumers' decisions with free, accessible tools, research and expert advice that can't be found anywhere else. We call it putting knowledge in your wallet.