SAN JOSE, Calif., March 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Data center operators can now get closer to an ideal power usage effectiveness (PUE) of 1.00 using the 48V Point of Load (PoL), single-stage DC/DC regulator from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM).
Power delivery efficiency in data center equipment is at an inflection point. As cloud service power levels increase to support higher-performance processor and memory requirements, data center operators are striving for a PUE close to 1.00. With a PUE of 1.00, there would be no power loss, so all the energy would be used for processing data. With the most efficient data centers topping out at a PUE of 1.1, the next level of IT infrastructure optimization is to reduce conversion stages and its associated losses. While today's two-stage power conversion (48V-to-12V-to-Load) is a common architecture, its efficiency has peaked at about 90%.
Leveraging its expertise in power management, Maxim's scalable, 48V solution breaks down the efficiency, density, and transient performance barriers by using integrated power and magnetics. The 48V single conversion to the PoL (48V-to-Load) eliminates one conversion loss and reduces distribution power loss by a factor of 16 in a rack implementation, compared with 12V architectures.
For more information about Maxim's power solutions for demanding applications, visit http://bit.ly/48V_Rack_Power_Distribution.
- Lower PUE: Highest conversion and distribution efficiency
- Best power density: Single-stage architecture
- Superior transient performance: Integrated power and magnetics
- Flexible system: Scalable architecture for power, efficiency, and cost
- "Maxim's leadership in integrated power has enabled us to develop one of the first 48V single-stage solutions for powering CPUs, Memory, ASICs, GPUs, and SoCs," said Craig Teuscher, Vice President of Cloud and Data Center at Maxim Integrated. "Maxim has a high performance and flexible 48V integrated solution—consistent with what Google proposed this week at the Open Compute Project Summit—for hyperscale data center customers to implement later this year."
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim is bringing new levels of analog integration to automotive, cloud data center, mobile consumer, and industrial applications. We're making technology smaller, smarter, and more energy efficient, so that our customers can meet the demands of an integrated world. Learn more at http://www.maximintegrated.com.
Contact: Tara Yingst
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.