"The dedication and conviction of our award recipients is awe-inspiring," said Jim Ellard, Chief Executive Officer at NEB. "These men and women are enriching lives in ways that go well beyond the traditional definition of success for a scientist," continued Ellard, "We are honored to be able to recognize them for their extraordinary efforts, especially since they exemplify the core values we embrace at NEB: passion, humility, creativity and being genuine."
The full list of Passion in Science Awardees follows:
Category: Science Mentorship and AdvocacyAward®
- Amanda Munson (Shenandoah University, Winchester, VA): inspiring high school girls to have an "I can" attitude about biotech careers through her educational outreach program.
- David Ng (University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada): challenging the status quo in traditional science classrooms through hands-on approaches — including creative writing and a crowdsourced STEM card game.
- Chris Martine (Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA): reinvigorating student interest in botany through YouTube to reveal the rich biodiversity that often goes unappreciated.
- Sabah Ul-Hasan (University of California, Merced, CA): producing a science documentary series for underrepresented audiences to spotlight the symbiotic relationship between humans and the environment.
Category: Environmental Stewardship Award®
- Alexandra Polasko (University of California, Los Angeles, CA): developing a low-cost test to search for natural bacteria that can biodegrade hazardous contaminants in groundwater.
- Lisa Anderson (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA): launching a laboratory glove-recycling program to reduce lab waste and "upcycling" uncontaminated gloves into new materials such as chairs and park benches.
- Lucy Lahrita (Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan): curbing the accumulation of non-recycled plastic waste in landfills by converting them into synthetic fuel for clean sustainable energy.
Category: Humanitarian Duty Award®
- Karishma Bhagani (Matone de Chiwit, Farmington, CT): purifying water through the distribution of locally sourced, all-natural water purification units in rural communities around the globe.
- Nina Dudnik (Seeding Labs, Boston, MA): breaking down socio-economic borders within the scientific workforce by providing high-quality lab equipment to scientists in developing countries.
- Scott O'Neill (Monash University, Clayton, Australia): controlling virus-spreading mosquitos by infecting them first to stop the spread of diseases like dengue fever.
- Lucia Prieto Godino (University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland): bridging the scientific gap between African and western scientists through a non-profit organization.
Category: Art and Creativity Award®
- Scott Chimileski (Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA): combating our society's fear of the unseen by spearheading an exhibit on microbes to capture its beauty, natural history and value.
- Dana Simmons (University of Chicago, Chicago, IL): isolating neurons and injecting them with colorful dyes to generate digital brain art.
- Christine Liu (University of California, Berkeley, CA): uniting scientists and artists together to create informative "zines" to help bring science to wider audiences.
- Wilbur Ryan (Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL): bringing back the 'Schoolhouse Rock!' approach to teach students across the country about the foundations of ecology through short films.
More information on the winners and recordings of their inspiring talks will be made public at www.neb.com/passioninscience.com following the event.
About New England Biolabs
Established in the mid 1970's, New England Biolabs, Inc. (NEB) is the industry leader in the discovery and production of enzymes for molecular biology applications and now offers the largest selection of recombinant and native enzymes for genomic research. NEB continues to expand its product offerings into areas related to PCR, gene expression, sample preparation for next generation sequencing, synthetic biology, glycobiology, epigenetics and RNA analysis. Additionally, NEB is focused on strengthening alliances that enable new technologies to reach key market sectors, including molecular diagnostics development. New England Biolabs is a privately held company, headquartered in Ipswich, MA, and has extensive worldwide distribution through a network of exclusive distributors, agents and seven subsidiaries located in Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore and the UK. For more information about New England Biolabs visit www.neb.com.
Content is covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc. However, its use may require you to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications. For more information, please e.mail us at email@example.com.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160907/405111LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-england-biolabs-announces-2016-passion-in-science-awards-recipients-300324122.html
SOURCE New England Biolabs, Inc.