CAMPBELL, Calif., Dec. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- A new forecast released today by Mobile Experts predicts a shifting market for mobile communications base stations, with new technologies driving growth in the number of radio transceivers deployed annually. The forecast predicts that over 14 million radio transceivers will be installed during 2016, with more than half deployed for LTE services.
"Despite the rise of small cells, the macro infrastructure market will remain strong," said Joe Madden, Principal Analyst at Mobile Experts. "In particular, rising data traffic demand will drive a need for ongoing investment in the macro layer, especially for 3G, TD-LTE, and LTE-FDD systems."
"Because of the complexity of LTE systems, the number of transceivers per base station is much higher than 2G or 3G systems. MIMO architectures are driving two to four transceivers per sector, and Active Antenna Systems (AAS) will drive even higher numbers of radios. Everything is changing in the base station: Power levels are changing, frequency bands are fragmenting, RRH units are growing, and the OEM mix is changing rapidly. Our forecast gets into the details."
Macrocell Transceiver Forecast includes more than 85 charts and tables, providing:
- A five-year base station forecast, including:
- Base Stations by air interface
- Base stations by multimode and single mode
- A five-year RF transceiver forecast, including:
- Transceivers by air interface
- Transceivers by multimode and single mode
- Transceivers by frequency band
- Transceivers by power level
- Transceivers by OEM
- A five-year forecast for the adoption of MIMO technology in base stations
- 2x2 MIMO transceivers
- 4 x n MIMO transceivers
- MIMO transceivers by air interface standard
- A five-year forecast for Active Antenna System deployment
- Adoption trends for AAS beamsteering systems
- A five-year forecast for Integrated Antenna Radio deployment
- Adoption trends for integration between antennas and RRH
- A comprehensive 20-page document to clarify trends and assumptions for the Mobile Experts Macrocell Transceiver Forecast.
About Mobile Experts LLC:
Mobile Experts provides insightful market analysis for the mobile infrastructure and mobile handset markets. Research topics center on technology introduction for radio frequency (RF) and communications innovation. Recent publications focus on Semiconductors for Small Cells, Backhaul for Small Cells, Semiconductors for Remote Radio Heads, MIMO, AAS, and Small Cells and HetNets.
SOURCE Mobile Experts LLC