DALLAS, Oct. 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Governor Chris Christie signed NJ A10 into law on October 14, 2016. We reported on this tax development on October 6, 2016. The bill is the result of bipartisan agreement, revises the New Jersey Transportation Trust Fund (TTF) Authority Act, and provides both tax cuts and a gas tax increase. Noteworthy items include:
- On January 1, 2017, the sales tax will go from 7% to 6.875% and will be further reduced to 6.625% on January 1, 2018. This is the first statewide sales tax decrease in more than 20 years.
- Gas tax will increase by 23 cents a gallon.
- Beginning in Tax Year 2016, the Earned Income Tax Credit for working poor will be increased to 35% of the federal benefit amount.
- The gross income tax exclusion on pension and retirement income is increased over four years to $75,000 for individuals and $100,000 for joint filers.
- The estate tax will be phased out over the next 15 months, and on January 1, 2017, a $2 million dollar exclusion will replace the current $675,000 threshold. The estate tax will be fully eliminated on January 1, 2018.
Under the new TTF plan, 100% of the gas tax revenue is constitutionally dedicated to the repair and replacement of New Jersey roads and bridges for the next eight years. It is hoped that the tax cuts enacted will, to an extent, offset the additional tax cost New Jersey drivers will soon be facing at the pump.
Ryan is an award-winning global tax services firm, with the largest indirect and property tax practices in North America and the seventh largest corporate tax practice in the United States. With global headquarters in Dallas, Texas, the Firm provides a comprehensive range of state, local, federal, and international tax advisory and consulting services on a multi-jurisdictional basis, including audit defense, tax recovery, credits and incentives, tax process improvement and automation, tax appeals, tax compliance, and strategic planning. Ryan is a five-time recipient of the International Service Excellence Award from the Customer Service Institute of America (CSIA) for its commitment to world-class client service. Empowered by the dynamic myRyan work environment, which is widely recognized as the most innovative in the tax services industry, Ryan's multi-disciplinary team of more than 2,100 professionals and associates serves over 12,000 clients in more than 40 countries, including many of the world's most prominent Global 5000 companies. More information about Ryan can be found at ryan.com.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION CONTACTS:
Mary Alice Cashin
Jeremiah T. Lynch
Available Topic Expert(s): Jerry Lynch
For information on the listed expert(s), click appropriate link.
ProfNet - http://www.profnetconnect.com/jeremiahlynch
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-jersey-passes-various-tax-cuts-and-a-significant-increase-in-the-gas-tax-300345952.html