New Sargento Fridge Pack Helps Create Healthier Snacking Habits
Consumers encouraged to "spring clean" their snacking regimes
PLYMOUTH, Wis., May 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sargento Foods Inc. is encouraging Americans to "spring clean" their snacking regimes to develop healthier habits in time for summer. According to a National Healthy Snack Survey sponsored by Sargento, more than 75 percent of adults consider quite a few to all of their snack choices to be unhealthy. Furthermore, the survey found that where snacks are placed matters. Half of consumers say they're encouraged to eat healthier by being able to easily spot a healthy snack.
To help Americans clean up their snacking habits, Sargento has introduced the new Fridge Pack. The Sargento Fridge Pack are easy-to-see, stand-up packs of individually wrapped, never processed, natural cheese that make it easy to choose a better snack. While other cheese snacks are often placed in a cluttered cheese drawer, the Fridge Pack keeps cheese organized and easily accessible in the fridge.
"It's clear that people tend to make food choices based on what they first see in their refrigerator. The new Sargento Fridge Pack puts wholesome, natural snacks easily within reach to encourage healthier snacking," says Sargento spokesperson Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD. "Healthy habits start with a clean and organized refrigerator, making the Sargento Fridge Pack an easy way to start making better snacking decisions."
The Sargento Fridge Pack is available in three popular Sargento natural cheese varieties: Light String Cheese, Colby-Jack Cheese and Mild Cheddar Cheese. And like all Sargento cheese snacks, these are 100% natural and never processed.
"I recommend Sargento natural cheese snacks to my clients. They're portion controlled, stocked full of protein to help you feel fuller longer and provide other vital nutrients to support good health," says Ward.
In addition to Sargento Fridge Pack, Ward recommends people adopt the following tips:
- Refresh your snacking habits. The annual spring cleaning ritual can also pertain to your snacking habits. While you're spring cleaning your kitchen this year, transform your snacking routine, too. Keep healthy choices front and center to make smart snacking a cinch. Fill a bowl with fresh whole fruit and set it on the counter, keep whole grain crackers and rolls in your desk or purse, and place a Sargento Fridge Pack in an easy-to-reach place in your fridge.
- Pack portable snacks. When the clock strikes 3:00 p.m., we know you're looking for a snack to tide you over. Take food with you to munch on when you're at work or on the road to prevent unexpected trips to the vending machine or drive through.
- Turn over a new snacking leaf. Chips, cookies and candy can often wreak havoc on our diets. Stock up on nutrient-rich foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, eggs and cheese to obtain that necessary boost in energy.
- Pay attention to portions. American portion sizes continue to increase everywhere we go and, consequently, so do our waistlines. Healthy snacks should fit into your calorie budget, not be additions that you don't account for. Aim for 100 to 200 calories per snack, and count snack calories as part of your daily energy allowance to avoid this common mistake.
- Protein + fiber = The best snacks. We know it can be a challenge to find satisfying snacks that are both nutritious and pack a punch of flavor. Try pairing foods with protein, such as eggs, cheese and nuts, with fiber-filled fare, including fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Foods rich in protein and fiber help you to feel fuller for longer, and they pack other vital nutrients to support good health.
Sargento Fridge Packs are found in the refrigerated cheese section of major grocery retailers for a suggested retail price of $6.99 for 18 snacks.
For information on Sargento products, please visit www.Sargento.com.
About the Healthy Snack Survey
The Healthy Snack Survey was conducted on behalf of Sargento Foods Inc. in January 2009 and August 2010. The survey interviewed nationally representative samples of adults, ages 18 and over. The data was weighted by demographic variables, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, to ensure the sample reflects the demographic profile of this population. The margin of error for the overall study is +/- 3% at the 95% confidence level and is higher for subgroups.
About Sargento Foods Inc.
Sargento Foods Inc. has demonstrated its passion for cheese and cheese-based meal solutions throughout its history. Founded in 1953 in Plymouth, Wis., Sargento is a leading manufacturer, packager and marketer of natural shredded, sliced and snack cheeses, cheese appetizers, ingredients, sauces and other culinary solutions. Sargento is owned and operated by the Gentine family, and has net sales of more than $900 million. For more information, please visit www.sargento.com.
SOURCE Sargento Foods Inc.
More by this Source
Sargento® Invites Americans To Take A Real Lunch
Jun 25, 2013, 10:03 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.