DALLAS, Nov. 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a low-power smart amplifier that allows designers to develop next-generation smartphones with industry-leading audio quality at peak volumes while maximizing battery efficiency. The TAS2555 Class-H audio amplifier with integrated speaker protection uses back electromotive force and low power of 5.7 W to produce bigger sound from small devices. TI is the first in the industry to provide both integrated and nonintegrated smart amplifiers, giving engineers a broad range of design options. For more information on the new audio amplifier, visit www.ti.com/tas2555-pr.
The TAS2555 is also the first low-power amplifier supported by the PurePath™ Console 3 software suite, which gives both advanced and beginner designers a path to meet diverse system requirements. The solution takes the guesswork out of speaker characterization and includes easy-to-use tools for tuning and integration into end products, thus accelerating time to market for smartphones, tablets and other audio-enabled portable electronics.
Key features and benefits of the TAS2555 smart amplifier
- Louder and clearer audio: Offers 5.7-W output power into 4 Ω and 3.8 W into 8 Ω at 4.2 V.
- Low idle-channel noise (ICN) simplifies designs: 15.9-µV ICN eliminates audible speaker noise when using the smartphone in a receiver or pause mode and also eliminates the need for external components.
- Integrated multilevel Class-H boost converter and automatic gain control: Dynamically adjusting audio output during periods of low battery voltage maximizes battery life. User-specified boost control helps customize boost on/off based on end-equipment power profile requirements.
- Reduces development time: Use any processor with an I2S output to enable on-chip speaker protection. This greatly reduces porting and integration time, enabling end equipment manufacturers to get to market faster.
Tools and support to speed design TI offers a range of intuitive design tools for the TAS2555 smart amplifier to speed time to market and simplify evaluation. Along with the PurePath Console 3 software suite, TI offers a comprehensive evaluation module (EVM) and a learning board tool for speaker evaluation. The TAS2555YZEVM is available for US$149 from the TI store.
Support for designers using the TAS2555 smart amplifier is available via the Audio Amplifiers forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers can search for solutions, share knowledge, and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Pricing and availability The TAS2555 smart amplifier is available today in a 3.47-mm-by-3.23-mm, 42-ball wafer-level chip-scale package (WCSP) and is priced at US$2.50 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TAS2555 is the newest member of TI's smart amplifier portfolio, which includes both low- and mid-power devices like the TAS5766 smart amplifier.
Learn more about TI's smart amplifiers
- View the datasheet for the TAS2555 Class-H audio amplifier.
- Learn how to use PurePath Console 3 to kick-start your smart amplifier designs in this blog post.
- Watch how TI's smart amplifiers take audio for smartphones to the next level in this video.
About Texas Instruments Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Trademarks PurePath™ and TI E2E™ are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments