AUSTIN, Texas, June 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With Memorial Day kicking off summer, travelers have begun to finalize their summer travel plans, with one in four taking more weekend trips this summer compared to last, according to BedandBreakfast.com(SM)'s Summer Travel Trends survey of B&B travelers. Two out of three (67%) B&B travelers plan to return to destinations previously visited and more than half (54%) will stay in at least one bed and breakfast this summer.
The Top 10 Summer Destinations for B&B travelers, according to the survey and traveler inquiry data, include:
1. New York
3. Cape May, N.J.
5. Charleston, S.C.
6. Savannah, Ga.
7. San Francisco
8. Asheville, N.C.
According to BedandBreakfast.com's Summer Travel Trends survey, most travelers say B&Bs, which traditionally offer free breakfast, parking, WiFi and other amenities, provide more value than hotels (71%) and would choose a B&B over a hotel if both were available for the same nightly rate (84%). Interestingly, nearly three out of four B&B travelers (71%), when traveling to a destination they've visited previously, choose a bed and breakfast they haven't previously stayed in to enjoy new experiences.
"The beauty of bed and breakfasts and inns is that each one is different and distinctive, with its own personality and charm – whether it's a historic home in the country or a modern inn in the middle of a city," says Gregory Sion, BedandBreakfast.com general manager. "Bed and breakfasts offer a sense of discovery for guests who want and expect more when they travel."
Besides free onsite parking, breakfast, flexible check-in and other inn amenities, more than half of B&B travelers choose bed and breakfasts based on scenic views (68%), gardens and landscaping (67%), architecture (61%), historical significance (58%), and reputation for good food (53%).
Other survey findings include:
- One out of four B&B travelers (25%) report they will take more leisure trips this summer, with nearly half (48%) saying they are traveling more because it's easier to get away for a long weekend than a week or longer trip
- Six out of 10 (61%) travelers say higher gasoline prices won't change their vacation plans, while 20 percent will travel closer to home or for fewer days because of the higher prices
- Besides price and location, B&B travelers look to the following when deciding where to stay: consumer reviews (50%), photos (47%), friends' recommendations (46%), flexible cancellations policy (43%) and ability to book online (43%).
- Most important B&B amenities include: free onsite parking (54%), flexible check-in (50%), and free breakfast (47%).
- 85 percent of B&B travelers drive to their weekend getaways, with 44 percent driving within 150-250 miles
- More than three out of four B&B travelers (77%) take their partner/spouse when visiting a B&B
- Three out of four B&B travelers (75%) are 35 – 65 in age.
BedandBreakfast.com, based in Austin, Texas, is the most comprehensive global site for finding bed and breakfast properties, with more than 12,000 properties worldwide. It is owned by HomeAway, Inc., the worldwide leader in online vacation rentals. BedandBreakfast.com helps travelers find and book the ideal B&B or small inn through informative descriptions, photos, and more than 210,000 consumer reviews. BedandBreakfast.com offers convenient gift cards welcomed at more than 4,000 B&Bs in the United States and Canada, with no restrictions or blackout dates.
* The top 20 summer destinations are based on a May analysis of most-searched page views on BedandBreakfast.com and a May 2012 survey of 1,245 B&B travelers.
CONTACT: Denise Clarke, BedandBreakfast.com, 512 899 0004