Next-generation automotive LED drivers for front and rear lights bring reliability and flexibility to exterior lighting TI's industry-first two-channel switching solution for front lights and single LED short detection for rear lights save board space and cost
DALLAS, May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the automotive industry's first two-channel switching LED driver for front lights and the only linear LED driver with single short LED detection for rear lights. Unlike other LED drivers in the market, the TPS92630-Q1 and TPS92602-Q1 feature both high-side current sense dimming and pulse width modulation (PWM) dimming capabilities, as well as full diagnostic and thermal management, which helps designers create flexible lighting systems that meet many countries' differing traffic regulations. Applications include automotive LED front lamp, rear lamp and interior lighting. For more information or to order samples, visit www.ti.com/tps92630q1-pr and www.ti.com/tps92602q1-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TPS92630-Q1 for automotive rear lights:
- Industry's only single LED short detection: Single LED short detection and full diagnostic capabilities give designers flexibility to meet different countries' traffic regulations.
- Multi-chip fault bus connection: Supports up to 15 IC connections on one bus and supports easy control logic without an extra microcontroller, which saves valuable board space and cost, compared to previous generations.
- Thermal current fold-back with programmable threshold: Prevents LED flickering in thermal shut down situations.
Key features and benefits of the TPS92602-Q1 for automotive front lights:
- Industry's first two-channel switching LED driver: Each channel can support a multitude of topologies – buck, boost, buck-boost, SEPIC, and flyback, to name a few – which saves board space and cost.
- Supports both linear analog dimming with high-side current sensing and PWM dimming with high-side PMOS FET: Customers can develop simple, robust designs.
- Dedicated diagnostic pin: Sends normal status and fault information to the body control module for flexible control.
- Auto recovery: The device switches between constant current and constant voltage mode for LED open protection. The TPS92602-Q1 switches to constant voltage mode when LED open occurs and automatically recovers back to constant current mode when the LED open is closed.
Tools and support
SPICE models are available for the TPS92630-Q1 and TPS92602-Q1. Evaluation modules (EVMs) are available for the TPS92630-Q1 and the TPS92602-Q1. View the demonstration video to learn more about the TPS92630-Q1 and TPS92602-Q1.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TPS92630-Q1 is available in a 16-pin HTSSOP package priced at US$0.90 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPS92602-Q1 is available in a 28-pin HTSSOP package priced at US$3.00 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Texas Instruments drives automotive innovation
TI's state-of-the-art semiconductor products allow manufacturers and system suppliers to deliver world-class features to the automotive market. Our extensive automotive portfolio includes analog power management, interface and signal chain solutions, along with DLP® displays, ADAS and infotainment processors, Hercules™ TMS570 microcontrollers and wireless connectivity solutions. TI offers SafeTI™ devices designed to help facilitate OEMs' compliance with the requirements of ISO 26262, as well as parts specifically designated as compliant with the AEC-Q100 and TS16949 standards, all with product documentation. Visit TI's Automotive page or TI's E2E™ Behind the Wheel Blog to learn more about our commitment to automotive innovation.
Find out more about TI's automotive and transportation portfolio by visiting the links below:
- View TI's complete automotive and transportation portfolio: www.ti.com/automotive-pr.
- Download TI's Automotive and Transportation Selection Guide: www.ti.com/automotiveguide-pr.
- Join the TI E2ETM Automotive Community: www.ti.com/e2eautomotive-pr.
- Keep up with the latest automotive happenings at TI: www.ti.com/behindthewheel-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments