DALLAS, Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a power factor correction (PFC) controller with the industry's widest range programmable frequency operating in continuous conduction mode. The UCC28180 8-pin PFC controller cuts power consumption in half and delivers power factor correction greater than 0.95, compared to existing solutions to support many universal-input AC/DC applications, such as industrial, server power supplies, air-conditioners, lighting, consumer appliances and home office electronics. For samples, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28180-pr
The UCC28180's adjustable switching frequency helps the designer optimize their design for size, cost and efficiency. The controller also achieves AC-input current total harmonic distortion (THD) as low as 5 percent with a 50 percent smaller shunt resistor, in comparison to previous-generation solutions.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28180:
- Widest application usage: Wide-range, programmable frequency range operates from 18 kHz to 250 kHz and allows usage of IGBTs, GaN, SiC or Si MOSFETs, which minimize component count and improves efficiency.
- Lowest power dissipation: By employing reduced current sense thresholds, the PFC controller uses a smaller shunt resistor, which cuts power dissipation in half compared to previous-generation devices, while maintaining low THD.
- High reliability: Rich protection functions, such as soft over current, cycle-by-cycle peak current limit, output open-loop, overvoltage and open-pin detection, guard the power supply system components.
- Audible noise minimization: UCC28180 allows faster loop response when output voltage exceeds regulation level, thus minimizing incidence of audible noise in magnetic components caused by abrupt PWM output shut-off during overvoltage protection.
The UCC28180 operates seamlessly with any TI DC/DC controller, such as the UCC28950, UCC28250 or UCC25600, as well as motor control and lighting solutions, providing reliable, efficient, low-cost power designs for a wide range of applications.
Availability and pricing The UCC28180 PFC controller is available in an 8-pin SOIC package and is priced at US$0.85 in quantities of 1,000. The UCC28180EVM-573 360-W PFC evaluation module is priced at US$99 and available for ordering through TI's eStore.
Find out more about TI's power management and isolated portfolio:
- Check out TI's extensive line of PFC controller solutions.
- Read the Power House blog "Better get your 'power factor' corrected."
- Visit the TI E2E power forum to search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
About Texas Instruments Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Trademarks TI E2E is trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments