Next Generation USA TODAY iPad App Now Available
MCLEAN, Va., Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- USA TODAY, a multi-platform news and information company, announced today that its relaunched iPad app is now available in the iTunes app store. The app is part of a newly reimagined suite of digital products from USA TODAY.
The new USA TODAY app for iPad was rethought from the ground up. Incorporating consumer research on how tablets are used for news consumption, the app adapts to how users consume news based on time of day. The app is enhanced with new utilities, capabilities and an all-new design to help readers get more from the signature content they have come to trust from USA TODAY. The app features bigger images and more visual storytelling with deeper coverage in an engaging user-friendly experience. Live video coverage, up-to-the-second headlines, interactive weather mapping, cutting edge commentary and user-controls will let users see stories and follow the news the way they want to consume it. The new app is also optimized for use on the new iPad Mini's 7.9 inch display.
New features include:
- The app adapts to how users consume news based on time of day. Users will see a quick-scan text view of the day's stories in the morning and a lean-back image-focused view in the evening. Users can choose their view based on their own reading habits.
- A new customizable quick information panel lets users select the critical data and information they want to see. Users can choose from the latest sports scores, weather alerts, stocks, games, travel information and more.
- A richer content experience will give users the full picture on every story with more videos, photos, and audio.
- Users can quickly share news on their social platforms with the push of a button.
- "Airplane" mode gives users an offline reading option so they can view USA TODAY's full content anywhere, anytime. Users can stay connected, even when their iPad isn't.
- A saved article function lets users save articles they'd like to read so they can view or share them later.
- For marketers, the new design will provide a premium advertising environment. The app allows a better way for advertisers to deliver the right message to the right user at the right time. The app along with USA TODAY's reimagined website and newspaper deliver true cross-platform solutions for marketers.
"This is a continuation of the reimagination of all USA TODAY products and builds on the great success of our original iPad app. It goes beyond a news-reader and provides greater utility and a more dynamic experience that allows consumers to get their news quickly when and how they want it. The USA TODAY audience is always on the go and our development team designed this app with that in mind, thinking about how consumers use their mobile devices at different times of day. At the same time we are reorganizing our newsroom to create much more original content for the tablet. We are reinventing the way we develop content based on platform and changing consumer habits," said Larry Kramer, president and publisher of USA TODAY.
More information on the app can be found at www.newipadapp.usatoday.com. USA TODAY is now available on all major platforms and devices including Android (phones and tablets), iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Kindle Fire, Windows Phone, and Windows 8.
USA TODAY is a multi-platform news and information media company. Founded in 1982, USA TODAY's mission is to serve as a forum for better understanding and unity to help make the USA truly one nation. Through its unique visual storytelling, USA TODAY delivers high-quality and engaging content across print, digital, social and video platforms. An innovator of news and information, USA TODAY reflects the pulse of the nation and serves as the host of the American conversation – today, tomorrow and for decades to follow. USA TODAY, the nation's number one newspaper in print circulation with an average of nearly 1.8 million daily, and USATODAY.com, an award-winning newspaper website launched in 1995, reach a combined 6.6 million readers daily. USA TODAY is a leader in mobile applications with more than 16 million downloads on mobile devices. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY