MIAMI, Oct. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Patients of Nicklaus Children's three intensive care units and its hematology-oncology and neurology-neurosurgery units have moved into the hospital's newly opened Advanced Pediatric Care Pavilion, a six story 213,000-square-foot tower featuring the latest technical and family-centered advancements.
Care staff supported patients and their families in relocating from the established units into the new tower units as part of a carefully planned process.
"This move is a major milestone for our organization," said Dr. Narendra Kini, CEO of Miami Children's Health System, parent organization of Nicklaus Children's Hospital. "We now offer one of the most technically advanced care spaces in the world, consistent with the excellence of our clinicians. Equally, we have created a care setting that is supportive of families of children with critical illnesses, affording them privacy and more home-like comforts."
A total of 189 of the hospital's 289 beds are being relocated to the new tower, including those of the:
- Cardiac intensive care unit
- Pediatric intensive care unit
- Neonatal intensive care unit
- Neurology-neurosurgery unit
- Hematology-oncology unit
Highlights of the new tower include:
- Spacious family-centered rooms with amenities, including fold-out double beds, closet space and private baths.
- An intraoperative MRI to support care of children requiring surgery for brain tumors or medically-resistant epilepsy.
- Family spaces for play and relaxation. Spaces feature artwork by Florida photographers to illustrate individual floor themes: earth, water, air sun and universe.
- The latest technology (Sterisbooms) to make possible minor procedures within the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- Pneumatic tube technology to speed transport of medications and lab specimens within the hospital.
- eSignage, electronic touch-screen LCD panel signs located outside of patient rooms to convey isolation precautions and other care team notifications.
- Mobile healthcare apps, enabling staff to be constantly connected and aligned through the latest communications
About Nicklaus Children's Hospital
Founded in 1950 by Variety Clubs International, Nicklaus Children's Hospital – part of Miami Children's Health System – is South Florida's only licensed specialty hospital exclusively for children, with more than 740 attending physicians and over 220 pediatric sub-specialists. The 289-bed hospital is renowned for excellence in all aspects of pediatric medicine with several specialty programs ranked among the best in the nation in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,2015 and 2016-17, by U.S. News & World Report. The hospital is also home to the largest pediatric teaching program in the southeastern United States and has been designated an American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Magnet facility, the nursing profession's most prestigious institutional honor. For more information, please visit www.nicklauschildrens.org.
For more information:
Miami Children's Health System
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nicklaus-childrens-hospital-moves-patients-into-its-new-advanced-pediatric-care-pavilion-300353055.html
SOURCE Nicklaus Children's Hospital