NiSource Issues 2012 Sustainability Report Report documents progress in support of its Sustainability Strategy
MERRILLVILLE, Ind., July 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) today issued its annual Sustainability Report, highlighting the company's progress in building a more enduring and sustainable company across five key dimensions, including the environment, communities, customers, employees and shareholders.
The complete report and individual strategy-specific components are available online at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
"Each year this report serves as a go-to source for our team and key stakeholders to better understand NiSource's commitment to sustainable operations," NiSource President and CEO Robert C. Skaggs, Jr. said. "Across our broad footprint, each day NiSource employees are building a more sustainable company – through solid safety and ethics practices; community and environmental investments; and charitable involvement and economic development."
Performance highlights from the 2012 Sustainability Report include:
- Doing the right thing: NiSource was named to Ethisphere's World's Most Ethical companies list in 2012 and 2013. In addition, NiSource also was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 2012/2013.
- Safe, reliable, modern energy infrastructure: NiSource has embarked on more than $25 billion in long-term energy infrastructure modernization investments. These investments help maintain and improve reliability, safety and flexibility for customers, while creating significant economic benefits.
- Energy conservation and savings: In 2012, customers saved $4.2 million through natural gas energy efficiency programs, which is the energy equivalent of heating 10,500 homes for a year. In addition to lowering a customer's overall utility bill, it helps conserve natural resources by using less fuel.
- Community investment: NiSource donated a record $6.8 million to local, regional and national charitable organizations across the company's 16-state operating area.
- Environmental improvements: Ongoing NiSource environmental projects will reduce power plant sulfur dioxide emissions by more than 95 percent, and the company's energy infrastructure modernization investments will continue to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Safe, engaged teams: Statistics show that NiSource ranks among energy industry leaders in key employee safety measures, and is among global leaders in employee engagement.
The NiSource report and its data align with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) sustainability reporting requirements and received external assurance in support of the report's completeness. Archives of past reports are available at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
NiSource Inc., based in Merrillville, Ind., is a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution. NiSource operating companies deliver energy to 3.8 million customers located within the high-demand energy corridor stretching from the Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England. Information about NiSource and its subsidiaries is available at www.nisource.com. NI-F
About Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)
The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) is a network-based non-profit organization that promotes economic, environmental and social sustainability. GRI provides a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework that is widely used around the world. More information is available at www.globalreporting.org.
SOURCE NiSource Inc.