SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., June 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Californians are very savvy when it comes to gourmet cuisine. It seems nearly everyone is up to date on the latest TV chef challenge, the new "it" restaurants and even the freshest seasonal produce at the farmer's market. Cuisine has become the latest spectator sport, but actually cooking like a pro is an entirely different story. Many say they lack the time, equipment or expertise. Yet, a top West Coast chef claims almost anyone can make delicious gourmet dishes with minimal time and effort in the kitchen. Through her partnership with the California Milk Processor Board (CMPB), the creator of GOT MILK?, Chef Jenn Louis, one of Food & Wine's "Best New Chefs of 2012", will share her favorite "Real and Simple with Milk" summer recipes with Californians. All it takes is just a handful of fresh quality ingredients, bound together by silky, creamy milk.
"Using few ingredients keeps things simple and allows flavors to peek through," says Louis. "Milk tenderizes, refreshes, adds creaminess and just the right amount of richness to all of my dishes. I hope Californians will enjoy them throughout the season."
Dubbed "the West Coast Queen of Simple'," California born and raised Louis began her culinary adventure after extensive travel through Europe, North and South America as well as living on a dairy farm in southern Israel. In 1988, she realized her dream to cook for a living while doing so on an Outward Bound camp in the North Carolina woods. Her refreshingly simple cooking perspective has taken her on a meteoric ride to the top among culinary circles. She is the co-owner of two highly acclaimed restaurants, Lincoln Restaurant and Sunshine Tavern, both in Portland. Louis has also been recognized twice by the prestigious James Beard Foundation, in 2010 and 2011, among her many distinguished accomplishments.
"We are thrilled to collaborate with an extraordinary culinary talent like Chef Jenn Louis," says Steve James, CMPB Executive Director. "Her recipes resonate well with Californians because they are real and simple. Through them, she demonstrates that great food isn't complicated and is really easy to make during the summer."
Exclusively available on www.gotmilk.com/recipes, Louis' "Real and Simple with Milk" recipes include:
- Dutch babies – This light German pancake uses a very simple batter whose ingredients are all placed in a blender for mixing. Oven baked until puffy and golden, it can be topped with her blueberry conserva and a sprinkle of powdered sugar or with fresh seasonal berries.
- Chilled Cucumber Soup – No cooking is needed for this refreshingly light soup. Just blend lots of fresh cucumbers, milk and a few other simple ingredients to make it the perfect first course for dining al fresco under the stars.
- Parsley Crepes – Louis makes this savory lightly green-tinted parsley crêpe with a basil pesto, fresh ricotta, ham and juicy tomato slices. It's a light and satisfying meal during the summer months.
- Summer Corn Fritter – As the summer vegetable of choice, the sweetness of the corn is the star in this light side dish. They're delicious for dessert, drizzled with honey or molasses or they can be served with a bowl of hearty chili.
- Milk braised pork shoulder – The milk used in this succulent recipe tenderizes the meat as it cooks slowly over low heat either in the oven or on a stove top. The pork picks up the notes of lemon zest and sage used in this recipe. Served lightly seared with creamy polenta and summer vegetables.
To learn more about GOT MILK? and Louis' Real and Simple with Milk recipes, visit www.gotmilk.com/recipes.
About Jenn Louis
Chef Jenn Louis has garnered accolades from almost every major culinary entity in the country including Zagat, Bon Appetit, and Cooking Light, among others. In 2010 and 2011, she was a James Beard Foundation semifinalist for "Best Chef – Northwest." Louis and husband David Welch are the owners of Portland's highly acclaimed Lincoln Restaurant, recognized by Conde Nast Traveler's "Hot List" as one of the 50 top new restaurants in North America. They also own and operate Sunshine Tavern and Culinary Artistry, a highly successful full-service catering and event planning company in Portland.
About the CMPB
The California Milk Processor Board was established in 1993 to make milk more competitive and increase milk consumption in California. Awareness of GOT MILK? is over 90% nationally and it is considered one of the most important and successful campaigns in history. GOT MILK? is a federally registered trademark that has been licensed by the national dairy boards since 1995. The CMPB's Spanish-language campaign began in 1994 using the tagline "Familia, Amor y Leche" (Family, Love and Milk). The TOMA LECHE (Drink Milk) campaign replaced it in 2006, following a growing trend in Hispanic food advertising that uses wit and humor to reach audiences. GOT MILK? gifts and recipes can be viewed at www.gotmilk.com and www.tomaleche.com. The CMPB is funded by all California milk processors and administered by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
 Cooking Light, Dec. 2012
SOURCE California Milk Processor Board