"We know you want to #CatchEmAll, but always do so at a safe distance from electric substations and other electric equipment," said Nelle Hotchkiss, senior vice president of corporate relations for North Carolina's Electric Cooperatives. "Entering an electric substation is both a crime and incredibly dangerous, and members of the public should never attempt to gain access for any reason. Another capture is not worth the risk of serious injury."
The electric cooperatives urge parents of children who play the game to talk to them about how to be safe around electricity, and to always heed all instructions on signs and warnings related to electric equipment.
Important safety tips:
- Stay out of electrical facilities, such as substations and power plants, even if the game leads to that equipment.
- NEVER touch electrical equipment, including transformers and power lines.
- NEVER enter an active work zone, which could contain moving equipment and excavations.
- Do not climb power poles or throw things into power lines.
- Stay away from power lines that have fallen because they can still be energized.
- Power lines near trees also pose a danger; exercise caution and check for power lines before climbing a tree.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/north-carolinas-electric-cooperatives-urge-electrical-safety-for-pokemon-go-players-300299043.html
SOURCE North Carolina's Electric Cooperatives