MILWAUKEE, March 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Northwestern Mutual celebrates the 159th anniversary of its founding with an appreciation of its past and a renewed vision of the future. Founded by a transplanted New Yorker in what was then the "northwestern" region of the United States, Northwestern Mutual is proud to be among the strongest and most admired companies in its industry.1
"While life for our clients has changed dramatically since 1857, our commitment to their financial security has been unwavering," said John Schlifske, chairman and chief executive officer of Northwestern Mutual. "We will continue to use our strong foundation to innovate and help our clients and their families secure their futures."
To mark our anniversary, we offer insight into five principles that have stood the test of time:
- Commitment. Guided by the vision of our early leaders to create a company whose "aim is to rank first in benefits to policyowners rather than first in size," we remain firmly committed to mutuality. Sharing our success with policyowners has been a consistent tradition, and we have made a dividend payout every year since 1872.
- Conviction. Our financial representatives and advisors are committed partners who work with clients to map their unique journeys to financial security. And our leadership is dedicated to recruiting, training and supporting the industry's finest field force.
- Comprehensive approach. Today more than ever, financial security requires balance. We take a "whole picture" approach to planning -- helping clients grow wealth with investments while protecting what they have with insurance.
- Consistency. People need to know their financial partner will be there when they need them most. This is our biggest responsibility, and we are proud to have received the highest financial strength ratings of any life insurer by all four of the major rating agencies.2
- Community. We feel fortunate that the work we do every single day builds stronger and better communities. Whether we are helping families work toward a more financially secure future, or improving the lives of families in need, we are proud to be a good corporate citizen.
"People today are working harder than ever, and as we celebrate our anniversary, I am proud of the dedication of the Northwestern Mutual family to help give our clients the confidence to live life differently," said Schlifske.
About Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for nearly 160 years. Our financial representatives build relationships with clients through a distinctive planning approach that integrates risk management with wealth accumulation, preservation and distribution. With $238.5 billion in assets, $27.9 billion in revenues and more than $1.6 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.3 million people who rely on us for insurance and investment solutions, including life, disability income and long-term care insurance; annuities; trust services; mutual funds; and investment advisory products and services. Northwestern Mutual is recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the "World's Most Admired" life insurance companies in 2016.
Northwestern Mutual is the marketing name for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Milwaukee, WI, and its subsidiaries.
Northwestern Mutual and its subsidiaries offer a comprehensive approach to financial security solutions including: life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability income insurance, annuities, Iife insurance with long-term care benefits, investment products, and advisory products and services. Subsidiaries include Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC (NMIS), broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company (NMWMC), federal savings bank; and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company (NLTC).
1 2016 Fortune's Most Admired Rankings
2 A.M. Best Company A++ (highest), 5/2015; Fitch Ratings AAA (highest), 9/2015; Moody's Investors Service Aaa (highest), 1/2016; and Standard & Poor's AA+ (second highest), 5/2015. Ratings are for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/northwestern-mutual-marks-159th-anniversary-with-principles-that-have-stood-the-test-of-time-300229527.html
SOURCE Northwestern Mutual