Novation Survey Finds Increase in Bariatric Procedures Amid Rising Bariatric Costs
IRVING, Texas, Dec. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 36 percent of U.S. adults and 17 percent of children and adolescents are obese, with these numbers projected to rise significantly by 2030. This alarming statistic not only affects our nation's health, but it also has a major economic impact on hospitals treating obese patients.
Today, Novation, the leading health care supply chain expertise and contracting company, released its 2012 Bariatric Report, which confirmed that while hospitals continue to see an increase in bariatric procedures, costs related to caring for morbidly obese patients continue to rise as well.
Of the responding facilities, 74 percent saw an increase in the number of bariatric surgeries in the past 18 months. More than half of respondents also spent more on the treatment of morbidly obese patients in the last 12-18 months than they had in previous years.
"The member hospitals we serve have seen a continual rise in the costs of treating obese patients, while also facing the financial pressures of the economy, reduced reimbursement and changes under health care reform," said Cathy Denning, vice president, sourcing operations at Novation. "Because of this, it is more important than ever that we help them lower their supply costs and assist in providing high quality care. Currently, Novation offers a comprehensive portfolio of the most widely used bariatric products to provide support and value to member hospitals."
Other key report findings include:
- Sixty-one percent have seen an increase in the number of bariatric-related reconstructive surgeries in the last 18 months.
- The estimated cost of all expenses related to the treatment of morbidly obese patients ranged from $200 to as much as $5 million in the last 12-18 months. Beds account for the highest total costs and/or the greatest increase in bariatric product spending at member facilities.
- Thirty-six percent indicate that they invested in the physical renovation for their facilities to accommodate morbidly obese patients in the past year. The estimated cost of all morbidly obese-related renovations ranged from $12,000 up to $4 million.
- Fifty-three percent have a fitness program in their facilities, 60 percent have a weight loss program and 61 percent have a counseling program.
- In light of health care reform changes, the majority of respondents plan to enhance their obesity education and prevention programs. 56 percent will enhance the programs for patients, while 64 percent will enhance these programs for their own employees.
- When asked about workplace injuries related to caring for morbidly obese patients, 59 percent have seen a decrease in the past year. Of the 59 percent, 77 percent believe that it was due to purchasing specialized equipment for obese patients or offering training programs.
The 2012 Bariatric Report was an online survey of 178 VHA Inc. and UHC member hospitals. To view the entire report, please visit https://www.novationco.com/media/surveys.asp.
About Novation, Winner of the Ethics Inside® Certification
Founded in 1998, Novation is the leading health care supply chain expertise and contracting company for the more than 65,000 members of VHA Inc. and UHC, two national health care alliances, Children's Hospital Association, an alliance of the nation's leading pediatric facilities, and Provista, LLC. Novation provides alliance members with sourcing services, as well as information and data services. Based in Irving, Texas, Novation develops and manages competitive contracts with more than 600 suppliers. VHA, UHC, and Provista members used Novation contracts to purchase more than $40 billion in 2011. Novation recently earned the coveted Ethics Inside® Certification from Ethisphere Institute, a leading international think tank dedicated to the research and promotion of best practices in corporate ethics and compliance. Novation was also named on Ethisphere's World's Most Ethical Companies list, and is the only company in the health care industry to earn both distinctions. To learn more about Novation, please visit www.novationco.com and follow @NovationNews.
More by this Source
New Novation Capital Group Buys Help Hospitals Achieve Savings of Up to 82 Percent
Apr 08, 2014, 08:00 ET
Novation Named Among World's Most Ethical Companies
Mar 20, 2014, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.