OBERLIN, Ohio, Aug. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Synapse Biomedical (www.synapsebiomedical.com ) announced today, Dr. Raymond Onders, co-inventor of the NeuRx® Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) and U.S. Air Force veteran will present at this year's Paralyzed Veteran of America (PVA) Annual Summit to be held in Orlando AUG 29-SEP 1. Dr. Onders will discuss the benefits of the FDA approved NeuRx DPS® in patients with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) or diagnosed with ALS.
Dr. Onders, Interim-Chair of Surgery and Remen Chair in Surgical Innovation at University Hospitals of Cleveland and Professor of Surgery at Case Western Reserve University, stated, "DPS has consistently been shown to be safe and a preferred mode of breathing for SCI patients. Newer data shows the benefit of DPS in other respiratory compromised populations including Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS)."
Dr. Onders will discuss his own NeuRx DPS ® experience in 349 patients implanted between 2000 -2016. His results include:
- Spinal Cord Injury (n =117);
- All patients, with stimulatable diaphragms, weaned from mechanical ventilation (MV).
- Half of the patients recovered respiration with no further need of MV nor DPS because of the muscle and nerve rehabilitation with diaphragm pacing
- 100% had improved speech and more normal breathing
- 100% increased sense of independence
- 100% of patients prefer DP over ventilators
- ALS (n = 232); overall median survival from implant was 22 months
- Results similar to those in the recently presented results from both the PAS study(n=60) and IDE trial(n=85), 20.9 and 19.7 months, respectively.
- Most patients also had a feeding tube placed during same procedure
About NeuRx DPS® Technology
The NeuRx DPS® was recently awarded a GSA Schedule 65IIA contract and is now certified to provide goods & services to the Federal government.
The NeuRx DPS® received FDA approval for ventilator dependency from spinal cord injury on June 17, 2008. The NeuRx DPS was approved, September 28, 2011, by the FDA for treating chronic hypoventilation from ALS. The NeuRx DPS® has demonstrated that it can help people with ALS live longer and sleep better than the current standard of care, alone. For more on current indications for use, visit www.synapsebiomedical.com/products/patientInfo.shtml
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/novel-technology-for-veterans-with-spinal-cord-injury-or-als-to-be-presented-at-this-years-paralyzed-veterans-of-america-pva-summit-in-orlando-neurx-diaphragm-pacing-system-dps-shows-benefit-in-sci-and-als-patients-300312680.html
SOURCE Synapse Biomedical Inc.