Dr. Onders will discuss his own NeuRx DPS ® experience in 349 patients implanted between 2000 -2016. His results include:
- Spinal Cord Injury (n =117);
- All patients, with stimulatable diaphragms, weaned from mechanical ventilation (MV).
- Half of the patients recovered respiration with no further need of MV nor DPS because of the muscle and nerve rehabilitation with diaphragm pacing
- 100% had improved speech and more normal breathing
- 100% increased sense of independence
- 100% of patients prefer DP over ventilators
- ALS (n = 232); overall median survival from implant was 22 months
- Results similar to those in the recently presented results from both the PAS study(n=60) and IDE trial(n=85), 20.9 and 19.7 months, respectively.
- Most patients also had a feeding tube placed during same procedure
About NeuRx DPS® Technology
The NeuRx DPS® was recently awarded a GSA Schedule 65IIA contract and is now certified to provide goods & services to the Federal government.
The NeuRx DPS® received FDA approval for ventilator dependency from spinal cord injury on June 17, 2008. The NeuRx DPS was approved, September 28, 2011, by the FDA for treating chronic hypoventilation from ALS. The NeuRx DPS® has demonstrated that it can help people with ALS live longer and sleep better than the current standard of care, alone. For more on current indications for use, visit www.synapsebiomedical.com/products/patientInfo.shtml
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20131113/CL14319LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/novel-technology-for-veterans-with-spinal-cord-injury-or-als-to-be-presented-at-this-years-paralyzed-veterans-of-america-pva-summit-in-orlando-neurx-diaphragm-pacing-system-dps-shows-benefit-in-sci-and-als-patients-300312680.html
SOURCE Synapse Biomedical Inc.