Nu Skin Enterprises Provides Business Update And Announces 50 Percent Increase In Dividend
PROVO, Utah, Dec.18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: NUS) today announced that it plans to increase its regularly scheduled dividend payments by 50 percent for 2013. With this planned increase, the company will have increased dividends for each of the 12 consecutive years since it instituted the payment of dividends to stockholders.
"We have generated record results for each of the past five years and believe 2013 will be another record year," said Truman Hunt, president and chief executive officer. "Based on our consistent growth and our commitment to return capital to stockholders, we expect to increase our 2013 dividend by 50 percent, which would represent a 140 percent increase in dividends over the past three years. With our strong performance and increasing cash flow, we have the financial flexibility to increase dividends, repurchase shares and continue to invest in important business initiatives to sustain revenue growth."
Beginning with its regular first quarter dividend in 2013, the company currently expects to pay a quarterly dividend of $0.30 per share, or $1.20 per year, compared to the previous quarterly dividend of $0.20 per share, or $0.80 per year.
Nu Skin also provided an update on its ongoing Japan customs case. The Tokyo High Court recently affirmed the lower court's decision with respect to the company's lawsuit to recover approximately $33 million in customs duties assessed against the company for the period of 2002 through 2005. Nu Skin continues to disagree with this decision and has appealed to the Supreme Court of Japan. The recent decision will not impact the company's financial results as it previously paid and recorded as an expense the full amount of this assessment.
About Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc.
Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. demonstrates its tradition of innovation through its comprehensive anti-aging product portfolio, independent business opportunity and corporate social responsibility initiatives. The company's scientific leadership in both skin care and nutrition has established Nu Skin as a premier anti-aging company. The company's anti-aging products feature the new ageLOC® suite of products including the ageLOC® R2 nutritional supplement, ageLOC® Galvanic Spa System and ageLOC® Galvanic Body Spa™, as well as the ageLOC® Transformation daily skin care system. A global direct selling company, Nu Skin operates in 53 markets worldwide and has more than 900,000 active distributors and preferred customers. Nu Skin is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol 'NUS'. More information is available at http://www.nuskin.com.
Please Note: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended that represent the company's current expectations and beliefs. All statements other than statements of historical fact are "forward-looking statements" for purposes of federal and state securities laws and include, but are not limited to, statements of management's expectations regarding the company's initiatives and strategies, statements of projections regarding the company's performance, cash flow from operations, the amount and timing of future dividend payments and other financial items; statements of the company's plans and expectations regarding its ongoing Japan customs litigation; statements of belief; and statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. In some cases, you can identify these statements by forward-looking words such as "believe," "expect," "project," "anticipate," "estimate," "intend," "plan," "targets," "likely," "will," "would," "could," "may," "might," the negative of these words and other similar words.
The forward-looking statements and related assumptions involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results and outcomes to differ materially from any forward-looking statements or views expressed herein. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- the actual declaration and payment of the planned dividends by the Board of Directors is subject to any changes in the company's net earnings, financial condition, cash requirements, future prospects or other factors deemed relevant by the company's board of directors that could cause the Board of Directors to reduce or discontinue the payment of currently planned quarterly dividends;
- any failure of current or planned initiatives or products to generate interest among distributors and customers and generate sponsoring and selling activities on a sustained basis;
- risks related to accurately predicting, delivering or maintaining sufficient quantities of products to support our planned initiatives or launch strategies, including possible ingredient supply limitations;
- challenging economic conditions globally;
- risk of foreign currency fluctuations and the currency translation impact on the company's business associated with these fluctuations;
- risks associated with general inquiries and complaints to consumer protection agencies in Japan regarding the activities of some distributors;
- regulatory risks associated with the company's products, which could require the company to modify its claims or inhibit the company's ability to import or continue selling a product in a market if it is determined to be a medical device or if it is unable to register the product in a timely manner under applicable regulatory requirements;
- continued regulatory scrutiny and investigations in Mainland China, which have from time to time in the past, and could in the future, negatively impact the company's business, including the interruption of sales activities in stores, loss of licenses, and the imposition of fines;
- adverse publicity related to the company's business, products, industry or any legal actions or complaints by distributors or others;
- any prospective or retrospective increases in duties on the company's products imported into the company's markets outside of the United States and any adverse results of tax audits or unfavorable changes to tax laws in the company's various markets; and
- continued competitive pressures in the company's markets.
The company's financial performance and the forward-looking statements contained herein are further qualified by a detailed discussion of associated risks set forth in the documents filed by the company with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements set forth the company's beliefs as of the date that such information was first provided and the company assumes no duty to update the forward-looking statements contained in this release to reflect any change except as required by law.
SOURCE Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc.