LAWRENCE, Mass., Jan. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- OBP Medical, a leading global developer of single-use, self-contained, illuminating medical devices, today announced availability of its new and improved SURE-SCOPE,® a single-use, one-piece laryngoscope with built-in LED light source. SURE-SCOPE's all-in-one, ready-to-use design eliminates the time and expense of reprocessing and reduces the risk of cross-contamination in medical settings by making reusable light sources, blades and handles obsolete. The new and improved SURE-SCOPE delivers improvements designed to enhance efficiency, functionality and cost effectiveness.
The modern-day laryngoscope consists of a handle with light source and interchangeable blades. While most organizations today use disposable blades, laryngoscope handles are often reprocessed and reused. In addition to the damage caused by repeated reprocessing, a growing body of evidence—and countless real-world examples—demonstrate that even after proper cleaning and disinfection, these components can pose a cross-contamination risk to patients. One study published in the Journal of Hospital Infection found that 86 percent of reprocessed laryngoscope handles deemed "ready to use" still had bacteria on them.
SURE-SCOPE's innovative design sets a new standard for laryngoscopes. This single-use, all-in-one device comes out of the package sterile and ready to use—no additional parts or assembly required. Following a single patient use, the entire device—handle, blade and light—is disposed of. SURE-SCOPE's unique one-piece construction offers physicians a safer, more reliable and more efficient device. SURE-SCOPE is ideal for the operating room, intensive care, emergency room and crash carts.
In addition, a 2012 report from the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project lists intubation as a concern for escalating medical costs. According to a 2012 study conducted by Southeast Health, the average cost per intubation ranges between $17 and $27. This high price tag factors in expenses related to inventory control (such as replacement parts and product failures) and reprocessing. A common misconception is that disposal of an entire laryngoscope after a single use is expensive; however, the reality is that by eliminating the need for additional parts and cleaning, SURE-SCOPE empowers medical facilities to deliver enhanced infection control while cutting their cost per intubation by as much as 64 percent.
New SURE-SCOPE features include:
- An ergonomically designed wider handle with grip for increased user comfort;
- An on/off switch now available on Miller 2 and Miller 3 blades;
- A shorter, tapered housing for the LED light source on the Miller 2 and Miller 3 blades for improved visibility during intubation;
- A Miller 00 size blade now available.
SURE-SCOPE also offers a wide range of existing benefits, such as:
- Ultra-bright, built-in LED light source that improves tissue visualization during intubation without generating any noticeable or damaging heat;
- Made from revolutionary reinforced nylon material that adheres to the most stringent manufacturing guidelines to ensure the safety of patients;
- Blades that are validated to support over 40lbs of blade force, four times higher than intubation requirements;
- One-piece design that ensures blade integrity, eliminates the need for additional parts and components, charging of batteries/light sources or reprocessing, as well as the risk of corrosion from repeated assembly/disassembly;
- A wide range of available blade sizes, including MAC 2, MAC 3, MAC 4, MILLER 00, MILLER 0, MILLER 1, MILLER 2 and MILLER 3;
- 100 percent single-use—individually packed sterile, requires no cleaning/reprocessing, eliminating the risk of cross-contamination from poorly cleaned, reusable blades, handles and light sources.
"With the rising cost of health care in the spotlight, medical facilities need to utilize the most cost effective and practical tools available and SURE-SCOPE delivers," said Jason Swift, CEO of OBP Medical. "The next generation in laryngoscope innovation, SURE-SCOPE offers customers cost savings, construction enhancements and the highest levels of infection control, making it the most affordable, efficient and effective intubation solution on the market. We look forward to working with new and existing customers to demonstrate why the new and improved SURE-SCOPE is the right choice for their facilities."
SURE-SCOPE is available for purchase at www.obpmedical.com.For more information about SURE-SCOPE, please visit https://obpmedical.com/product/sure-scope/#hospital or contact OBP Medical at (978) 291-6853. OBP Medical is proud to be ISO13485 certified.
About OBP Medical
OBP Medical is a leading global developer of single-use, self-contained, illuminating medical devices. Our single-use lights are among the brightest on the market, allowing for optimal visualization during procedures. Our innovative products are used in physician offices, surgery centers and more than 2,000 hospitals throughout the U.S., as well as healthcare facilities worldwide. For more information about OBP Medical and its innovation line of self-illuminated medical devices, please visit www.obpmedical.com, check out our Simple.Bright.Ideas.BLOG or follow us on Twitter.
Chief Marketing Officer
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/obp-medical-unveils-new-and-improved-sure-scope-300201943.html
SOURCE OBP Medical