* LX Branded Zones. Developed at Joyent, LX Zones allow Linux applications to run on top of a native OmniOS environment. This best-of-both-worlds approach allows Linux applications to run, while having the underlying robustness of OmniOS's illumos-based kernel.
* The full adoption of OpenSSH as the default and only Secure Shell implementation.
* Improvements in hardware support including:
* Intel I219 ("Kaby Lake") ethernet chip support.
* ACPI Version 6 support.
* Initial support for NVMe version 1.1
"As developers and operators of highly scaled solutions, we're excited to see LX Zones introduced into OmniOS, giving us even more options for building new web services for our customers." Robert Treat, CEO of OmniTI says. "This also helps bolster support of the LX model within the greater illumos community; while other operating systems continue to play catch-up, illumos continues to innovate."
The newest version of OmniOS is immediately available for download at omnios.omniti.com, and additionally will be made available through third party systems such as AWS and Atlas.
Official release notes are available here (http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/ReleaseNotes/r151020).
OmniOS is an open source operating system built upon the illumos code base, providing a truly secure container system, native ZFS filesystem, the dtrace diagnostic tool set, and software defined networking via Crossbow. With its advanced set of technology, OmniOS allows users to take advantage of next generation technology without that wait.
For companies experiencing issues associated with growth and scalability of their customer-facing websites, OmniTI is the leading Web Scalability and Performance provider using a cross-disciplinary approach to achieve unparalleled levels of web and database performance, to enable revenue growth, outstanding customer experience, underlying infrastructure reliability and faster time-to-market.
Holly Beer, Senior Marketing Manager
(240)646-0770 ext 218
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160425/359667LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/omniti-announces-new-release-of-omnios-300358178.html