To raise awareness and funding to reverse this trend, Project EverGreen is designating July 10-16, 2016 as National "Healthy Turf. Healthy Kids."™ Awareness Week. The week will raise recognition of the program and spotlight the program's efforts to provide healthy, safe athletic and recreational green spaces for America's children.
The nationwide initiative renovates and revitalizes athletic and recreational green spaces in urban communities to ensure children have access to a safe place to play and exercise. Access to green spaces not only promotes a healthier lifestyle, but contributes to economic growth, community development and benefits the environment.
"Investing in the renovation and revitalization of athletic and recreational green spaces is an investment in a healthier future for children across the country," says Cindy Code, executive director of Project EverGreen. "Our goal is to make sure that safe, modern green space is available so children can make exercise, athletics and recreation a part of their daily lives."
Since the program's inception in 2015, renovation projects covering more than 607,000 sq. ft. have been completed across the country including Atlanta; San Antonio, Round Rock and Ft. Worth, Texas; North Chicago, Il.; Cleveland; Durham and Greensboro, N.C.; Milwaukee and Minneapolis.
"Healthy Turf. Healthy Kids." Facts & Figures
- 14 – The degrees cooler that grass is than bare soil
- 30 – The degrees cooler that grass is vs. asphalt
- 60 – The number of minutes children age 5 to 17 should engage in physical activity on a daily basis
- 100 – The number of calories a child can burn up in one hour of active play
- $136,000 – The in-kind donation value for "Healthy Turf. Healthy Kids." projects since the program's inception
- 607,000 – Estimated square footage of recreational and athletic green space renovated by Project EverGreen's "Healthy Turf. Healthy Kids."
- Physically active young people demonstrate higher academic performance at school
To learn more, visit www.ProjectEverGreen.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/on-a-mission-to-renovate-athletic-and-recreational-green-spaces-across-the-united-states-300294800.html
SOURCE Project EverGreen