RUEIL-MALMAISON, France, Nov. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- On the eve of the Paris Climate Change Conference (COP21), Schneider Electric, the global specialist in energy management and automation, announces 10 commitments for sustainability aligned with the Planet & Society barometer, Schneider Electric's sustainability scorecard since 2005. These commitments are in line with the two-degree trajectory and contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
For Schneider Electric, these 10 commitments support the objectives to make the company's plants and sites neutral in the next 15 years and to build a coherent industry ecosystem embarking suppliers and clients around two major contributions:
- Support and challenge partners to reduce their own energy consumption by 30% through active energy efficiency solutions;
- Change lives of people at the base of the pyramid by giving them access to clean energy or by helping them to come out of fuel poverty.
Jean-Pascal Tricoire, Chairman and CEO at Schneider Electric, said: "Our role is to make sure that Life is On for everyone, everywhere, at every moment. Sustainability is thus at the heart of our company strategy. At Schneider Electric, we are convinced that better climate means better economy. We believe we are living in a very exciting time where new technologies enable us to completely rethink the way we deal with energy in a far more sustainable and efficient manner. We trust the fight against climate change cannot be decoupled from development issues. Finally, we think we need a solid system for carbon pricing so that everyone integrates collaterals on climate in their actions."
Building on its long experience in sustainability goals thanks to its Planet & Society barometer, Schneider Electric takes 10 strong commitments, as part of the Paris Climate Change Conference, around its products and solutions but also around its R&D and supply chain:
- Ensure CO2 impact quantification for 100% of new large customer projects;
- Design 100% of new offers with Schneider Electric ecoDesign Way™i and realize 75% of product revenue with Green Premium™ eco-labelii;
- Avoid 120,000 tons of CO2 through Circular Economy "end-of-life" services;
- Facilitate access to lighting and communication with low carbon solutions for 50 million inhabitants at the Base of the Pyramid in 10 years;
- Implement storage initiatives to develop renewable energy and mini grid;
- Solve SF6 issues with new alternatives in 5 years and eliminate SF6 from Schneider Electric products in 10 years;
- Reduce Schneider Electric energy intensity by 3.5% per annum;
- Reduce Schneider Electric transportation CO2 emissions by 3.5% per annum;
- Invest EUR 10bn in R&D innovation on sustainability in the next 10 years;
- Issue a climate bond to finance low CO2 R&D across Schneider Electric businesses.
Progress made with these commitments will be published either through Schneider Electric Planet & Society barometer or by specific communication.
About Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management and automation. With revenues of €25 billion in FY2014, our 170,000 employees serve customers in over 100 countries, helping them to manage their energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable. From the simplest of switches to complex operational systems, our technology, software and services improve the way our customers manage and automate their operations. Our connected technologies reshape industries, transform cities and enrich lives. At Schneider Electric, we call this Life Is On.
Hashtags: #COP21 #RoadToParis #ActOnClimate #Planet&Society
i Including CO2 profiling
ii With full digitized CO2 information
SOURCE Schneider Electric