One-Third of American Workers Describe Their Most Recent Job Interview as "Love at First Sight"
Nearly as Many Candidates Classify Their Last Interview Process as "Playing Hard to Get"
SALT LAKE CITY, Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- There is no doubt that the job interview process is like courtship, from the first date to the follow-up to the long-term relationship if the compatibility is right. HireVue, the leading on-demand digital interviewing platform, today announced results of an Ipsos Public Affairs survey revealing that one-third of American workers experienced instant attraction in their most recent job interview, calling it "love at first sight".
- 35 percent of women and 28 percent of men said they instantly fell in love with the opportunity for which they most recently interviewed
- One-third (30 percent) of working Americans likened their last interview process to a game of "playing hard to get"
- One in five (20 percent) of survey indicated the interview process was "hot at first, but then fizzled fast"
- 18 percent revealed it dragged on, resembling "a three-month affair"
"Interviewing is a courtship to one of the most important relationships for Americans – their job," said Kevin Marasco, chief marketing officer at HireVue. "In the job interview process, both falling in love instantly and playing hard to get may cloud a candidate's judgment in assessing the opportunity at hand. Instead, job seekers should strike an objective middle ground, treat their resume like an online dating profile and the interview process like a blind date."
Hiring managers and recruiters nationally who are looking for long-term relationships with their new hires – and are mindful of the costs of bad hires - should consider the following:
- Does your interview process sell your company culture and the intangibles of what the position has to offer in a long-term relationship – beyond the basic of a compensation package?
- Are you managing the expectations of the candidate throughout the interview process?
- Are you interviewing with "love at first sight" in mind, ensuring you hire talent that will be with your company long term, or are you being non-committal, leaving the possibility that the love affair will fizzle fast?
Much like a dating relationship in today's digital world, candidates on the other hand should expect their potential employer to research their history online. HireVue's Chief Executive Officer David Bradford advises that job seekers can expect recruiters or hiring managers to check social media for:
- The top ten searches for your name on Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask or other search engines
- The number of Twitter followers you have and last time you tweeted and what you're tweeting
- The size and quality of your LinkedIn community
- The number and quality of recommendations you have on LinkedIn
- The content posted on your Facebook profile
- Your Klout score
For more information about HireVue's digital interviewing platform, please visit http://www.hirevue.com
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted February 1- 4, 2013. For the survey, a national sample of 1,005 adults aged 18 and older from Ipsos' U.S. online panel were interviewed online. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics and ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the U.S. adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. A survey with an unweighted probability sample of 1,005 and a 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/- 3.1 percentage points 19 times out of 20 of what the results would have been had the entire adult population in the United States had been polled. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.
HireVue is an amazing new way to interview – on demand! Users simply browse, watch, rate and share the interviews they want, on their own time – just like streaming their favorite movies – even from a smart phone. Recognized by HR Executive Magazine as a Top HR Product of 2012, HireVue's Digital Interview Platform™ also helps improve interviews of all types, including in person, phone and video interviews. Digital question, feedback and collaboration tools remove hassle and make interviewing up to ten times faster and nine times cheaper. Join HireVue customers like Starbucks, Nike and Walmart who are making interviewing awesome. http://www.hirevue.com
More by this Source
HireVue Announces International Expansion into Europe and Asia Pacific
Feb 06, 2014, 03:00 ET
HireVue Uncovers Unique Hiring Insights with Acquisition of CollaboRATE
Dec 23, 2013, 07:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.