CHARLESTON, S.C., Feb. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Based on the largest analysis of charitable giving data, Blackbaud, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLKB), the world's leading cloud software company powering social good, today announced the availability of its annual Charitable Giving Report, featuring the most comprehensive look at how nonprofit fundraising performed in 2016. Released under the Blackbaud Institute for Philanthropic Impact, the report analyzes trends from more than $23 billion in fundraising revenue from 2016 and provides the latest insights from leading industry experts to help inform fundraising strategies.
"This fifth annual edition of the Charitable Giving Report includes expanded insights from the Blackbaud Institute," said Steve MacLaughlin, Blackbaud's vice president of Data and Analytics. "For the first time, we're including key insights into donor demographics, retention trends, generational giving, and significant online donations in addition to our charitable giving research."
Key findings from Blackbaud's Charitable Giving Report:
- Overall giving grew approximately 1.0% in 2016
- Online giving grew 7.9% in 2016 compared to 2015
- Online donations were 7.2% of all fundraising in 2016
- #GivingTuesday online donations were up 20% in 2016
- Nearly 17% of online donations were made on a mobile device in 2016
According to the report, overall giving to K-12 education and arts & culture sectors grew the most in 2016, and the healthcare sector experienced the largest decrease in year-over-year fundraising with a 4.5% drop. In 2016, overall giving to large organizations grew by 1.0%, medium organizations increased 1.7% and small nonprofits experienced flat growth while online giving to large organizations grew by 6.3%, medium organizations grew 11.4% and small nonprofits grew 8.1%, on a year-over-year basis.
To commemorate its fifth consecutive year, leading social good experts from across the sector also share their thoughts throughout the report on how these fundraising trends have shaped the industry and where it is headed in the future.
- "I'm pleased to see that giving grew in 2016 and appreciate Blackbaud's great analysis of the year. That said, over the course of the past five years, we are seeing more giving, but fewer donors. That speaks to the work that charities must do to improve their retention and cultivation of donors by creating a culture of philanthropy and telling their stories of impact and change. It also requires an understanding that the newer generations of donors view themselves as change agents who do not simply want to passively give charitable contributions; it requires building new types of relationships with donors to help them enact change in the context of charitable mission."—Jason Lee, Interim President & CEO, Association of Fundraising Professionals
- "It is more important than ever for individuals and charitable organizations, grounded in their commitment to rigorous continual learning, to translate that learning into effective advocacy with and on behalf of the communities in which we live and serve. Ultimately, we need to be fierce advocates for the issues and causes that best serve the community and nation. It's only when we give voice to these issues that that government, business, and the charitable sectors can work together to solve problems, encourage giving, and build a better future for us all."—Daniel Cardinali, President and CEO, Independent Sector
To view more charitable giving trends, download the report at www.blackbaud.com/charitablegiving. Updated on the first of each month and based on year-over-year percent changes, visit The Blackbaud Index to stay up-to-date on the latest fundraising trends and experience the recently enhanced interactive Index charts.
Blackbaud (NASDAQ: BLKB) is the world's leading cloud software company powering social good. Serving the entire social good community—nonprofits, foundations, corporations, education institutions, and individual change agents—Blackbaud connects and empowers organizations to increase their impact through software, services, expertise, and data intelligence. The Blackbaud portfolio is tailored to the unique needs of vertical markets, with solutions for fundraising and relationship management, digital marketing, advocacy, accounting, payments, analytics, school management, grant management, corporate social responsibility, and volunteerism. Serving the industry for more than three decades, Blackbaud is headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina and has operations in the United States, Australia, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit www.blackbaud.com.
Except for historical information, all of the statements, expectations, and assumptions contained in this news release are forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Although Blackbaud attempts to be accurate in making these forward-looking statements, it is possible that future circumstances might differ from the assumptions on which such statements are based. In addition, other important factors that could cause results to differ materially include the following: general economic risks; uncertainty regarding increased business and renewals from existing customers; continued success in sales growth; management of integration of acquired companies and other risks associated with acquisitions; risks associated with successful implementation of multiple integrated software products; the ability to attract and retain key personnel; risks related to our dividend policy and share repurchase program, including potential limitations on our ability to grow and the possibility that we might discontinue payment of dividends; risks relating to restrictions imposed by the credit facility; risks associated with management of growth; lengthy sales and implementation cycles, particularly in larger organization; technological changes that make our products and services less competitive; and the other risk factors set forth from time to time in the SEC filings for Blackbaud, copies of which are available free of charge at the SEC's website at www.sec.gov or upon request from Blackbaud's investor relations department. All Blackbaud product names appearing herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blackbaud, Inc.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/online-giving-to-nonprofit-organizations-reaches-a-record-high-in-2016-300411593.html
SOURCE Blackbaud, Inc.