FERGUS FALLS, Minn., Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- iQ Academy Minnesota, an online public school program, is adding grades K-5 to its offerings and is accepting applications for new students for a second semester start.
The expansion means the innovative learning experience that iQ Academy Minnesota provides is now open to students in kindergarten through 12th grade.
iQ Academy Minnesota is an accredited online public school of Independent School District 544 that offers Minnesota students statewide a high-quality alternative to the traditional learning experience. The program has been educating Minnesota students since the 2008-2009 school year and combines personalized instruction from state-licensed teachers with the award-winning K12 curriculum to deliver individualized learning to each student.
"iQ Academy Minnesota and Fergus Falls Public Schools are very excited to have received approval from the Minnesota Department of Education to expand our online option for students to grades K-5," said Jerry Ness, Fergus Falls Public Schools Superintendent. "Innovation is one of our District's core values – we believe that offering a variety of quality education opportunities will benefit today's learner."
Parents of iQ Academy Minnesota students praise the program's quality instruction, engaged teachers and flexible scheduling.
"My kids are responsible to their teacher and are becoming independent learners," said Tracie Christopherson, who has a 6th grader and 9th grader at iQ Academy Minnesota. "It is just so great that I don't have to be the only cheerleader because my kids know they need to get the work done."
Christopherson said iQ Academy Minnesota provides social opportunities that bring students, families and teachers together. iQ Academy Minnesota offers regular opportunities for face-to-face socialization, including such events as pizza parties and outings to waterparks, aquariums and baseball games. In addition, the program offers activities such as clubs, student government, dances, prom and graduation.
"My 9th grader said today that she feels more connected and has more friends than she ever did in a traditional school," she said.
Christopherson said she plans to enroll her 4th grader in iQ Academy Minnesota now that the program has expanded its offerings.
iQ Academy is powered by K12 Inc.
- Curriculum: iQ Academy Minnesota serves grades K through 12 using acclaimed, engaging curricula rooted in decades of educational research and featuring comprehensive lessons and assessments to ensure that students achieve success at every level.
- Teachers: iQ Academy Minnesota's award-winning courses are delivered from state-licensed teachers who have experience in traditional school settings as well as virtual school environments. They understand the challenges students and families face and are actively involved in all aspects of the online learning experience.
- Parents: iQ Academy Minnesota knows how important it is to keep parents in the loop when it comes to their children's education. In grades K–5, each student is required to have a Learning Coach (typically the parent) who assists the student through daily lessons. For grades 6-12, all parents are provided with Parent Observer Accounts to monitor their child's progress, and have opportunities to connect with teachers on a regular basis.
- Student Resources: Upon enrolling, iQ Academy Minnesota provides students with online planning tools, resources, and materials they need to thrive. In addition, the school offers personalized, extensive support to each family and student through its licensed teachers and counselors. In grades K-5, iQ Academy Minnesota uses K12's comprehensive K–5 program to provide young minds with a learning environment like no other. Lessons are supplemented with traditional materials, including award-winning textbooks, CDs, videos, and hands-on items that complement online learning.
- Enrollment: iQ Academy Minnesota serves students in grades K-12 who reside within the state of Minnesota. Prospective students interested in enrolling at iQ Academy Minnesota can fill out an enrollment form at http://iqacademymn.org/enroll-now or call 1-877-994-iQMN to speak to an enrollment advisor. Also, because it takes some students longer to choose the right education path, enrollment closes later at iQ Academy Minnesota than most schools every semester.
About iQ Academy Minnesota
iQ Academy Minnesota is a complete online K–12 school that fits your student, your schedule, and your family. As an accredited public school program of Independent School District 544, we offer Minnesota students in grades K–12 an innovative, high-quality alternative to the traditional learning experience.
About K12 Inc.
A technology-based education company, K12 Inc. (NYSE: LRN) is the nation's largest provider of proprietary curriculum and online education programs for students in kindergarten through high school. Using 21st century tools to prepare 21st century students, K12 provides a new choice for students to learn in a flexible and innovative way, at an individualized pace. K12 provides curricula and academic services to public and private online schools and districts, traditional classrooms, blended school programs, and directly to families. K12 is accredited through AdvancED, the world's largest education community. Additional information on K12 can be found at www.K12.com
SOURCE iQ Academy Minnesota