"Decide to Drive" Campaign Aims to Reduce Car Crashes, Trauma
ROSEMONT, Ill., Sept. 29, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released today by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
WHAT: The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) encourages middle school children to create and enter original artwork illustrating the dangers of distracted driving.
WHY: Orthopaedic surgeons are among the doctors who treat traumatic injuries resulting from distracted driving-related crashes. The AAOS, in partnership with the Auto Alliance, a group of 12 automobile manufacturers, wants to eliminate driver distraction by educating students about the dangers of distracted driving, enlisting their support in changing their parents' distracted driving behaviors, and ensuring that kids grow up to be safe drivers themselves. The poster contest is part of the national "Decide to Drive" campaign.
"With this poster contest we encourage children to illustrate what they have learned and observed about the dangers of distracted driving," said AAOS President Daniel J. Berry, M.D. "We know their ideas about driving are being formed now -- and this may encourage conversations with the adults in their lives, too. We hope our message will have a positive, lasting effect."
WHO: Students in grades five through eight are eligible to enter the AAOS/Auto Alliance "Decide to Drive" poster contest. Participants must be legal U.S. residents.
WHEN: The contest is open now. All entries are due November 15, 2011.
DETAILS: Each original poster entry should meet the following criteria:
- Hard-copy entries on an 11" H x 17" W sheet of paper or digital entry files on an 11" H x 17" W canvas size at 800 dpi in landscape orientation. Do not fold hard-copy entries;
- Hard-copy or a 3" x 5" digital headshot photo of the entrant at 300 dpi or higher;
- "Decide to Drive" poster contest entry form;
- 500-word (or less) biography on the entrant;
- 500-word (or less) entry description;
- And "Decide to Drive" poster contest release form with signature of legal guardian, available at DecideToDrive.org.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the top 12 entries. Winning entries will be notified by an AAOS representative and will be featured in a printed 2012 calendar and the winner's hometown airport. Additional contest details are available at DecidetoDrive.org.
Driving is one of the most important things you do all day—so decide to drive—and give it your full attention.
SOURCE American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons