WASHINGTON, May 20, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- High school teachers from throughout the nation were honored by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation in Chicago on May 19.
Thirty-two ProStart educators were presented with a 2016 ProStart Educator of Excellence Award during the ceremony, made possible by the Golden Corral Corporation. The award recipients were honored for dedication to their students, creativity and skill in the classroom, and their ability to motivate their students and connect them to real-life industry experiences.
ProStart is a two-year career and technical education program that introduces high school students to career opportunities in the restaurant and foodservice industry and teaches them the culinary arts and management skills needed to jump-start their careers and post-secondary education. It's currently offered to nearly 140,000 students in more than 1,800 programs nationwide.
"The dedication of these ProStart educators inspires excellence in their students every day," said Lorna Donatone, chair of the NRAEF Board, and CEO of schools worldwide, and region chair of North America, at Sodexo. "These educators give their students the tools they need to develop skills they will use throughout their future careers."
Additionally, two of the National Educator of Excellence award recipients were chosen by Golden Corral to receive the James H. Maynard Excellence in Education Award. Established in 2003, as a tribute to the company's founder, James Maynard, the award honors two ProStart educators for their passionate dedication to their students and commitment to providing an exceptional experience to their ProStart students. Each recipient received a gift of $5,000.
The 2016 Maynard awards were presented by Golden Corral President and CEO Lance Trenary, and Vice President of Human Resources and Training, Judy Irwin.
The Maynard Awards were presented to Cheryl Meyer-Thompson of Milton Senior High in Nebraska and Pam Sloan of Manchester High School in Virginia.
"To Golden Corral's founder, James Maynard, education is an integral part of success in the restaurant industry. We are proud to support the ProStart Program, which prepares students so well for successful post-secondary education and careers in our industry," said Trenary. "The educators we are all honoring this evening are amazing teachers whose impact on our industry and on the lives of their students is significant."
"The dedication and talent of our ProStart educators is what makes this program possible," said Rob Gifford, executive vice president, of the NRAEF. "Recognizing them tonight is only a small gesture to thank them for the lives they continue to change."
ProStart Educator Excellence Awardees are:
- Melissa Allphin - Moody High School (Alabama)
- Nathaniel Bradshaw - Wilbur Cross High School (Connecticut)
- Laurie Brandler - Bonita High School (California)
- Lisa Breyfogle - Washington High School (Iowa)
- Kayla Correll - Greendale High School (Wisconsin)
- Phillip Dell - Rancho High School (Nevada)
- Dennis Finley - R.G. Drage Career Technical Center (Ohio)
- Betty Glasgow - Bolivar High School (Missouri)
- Jake Graf - LISD Tech Center (Michigan)
- Jill Hillberry - Wheeling Park High School (West Virginia)
- Amanda Hines - Davie High School (North Carolina)
- Colleen Keffeler - Sturgis Brown High School (South Dakota)
- Kimberly Krupicka - Rolling Meadows High School (Illinois)
- Jack Low - Eudora High School (Kansas)
- Brenda Marshall - Joel E. Ferris High School (Washington)
- Lenore Martin - Northeast Senior High School (Maryland)
- Traci Martin - Ascension Parish Schools (Louisiana)
- Cheryl Meyer-Thompson - Milford Senior High (Nebraska)
- Michael Mirabella - Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES (New York)
- Kirsten Petre Mcdaniel – YouthEntity (Colorado)
- Susan Peffers - Lafayette Jefferson High School (Indiana)
- Dan Portelance - Carver Middle High School (Massachusetts)
- Shelia Richards - Bethlehem School (Florida)
- Kaitlin Russell - Seaford High School (Delaware)
- Garrett Sanborn - Arvin Education Center (Kentucky)
- Pam Sloan - Manchester High School (Virginia)
- William Twaler - Wando High School (South Carolina)
- Kendra Veno - Mount Washington Valley Career & Technical Center (New Hampshire)
- Joni Watson - Cloudcroft High School New Mexico (New Mexico)
- Tina Wetsch - Drummond High School (Montana)
- Emily Wyse-Moore - Integrated Arts Academy (Minnesota)
- Celeste Zaleski - Passaic County Technical School (New Jersey)
About the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation:
As the philanthropic foundation of the National Restaurant Association, the NRAEF exists to enhance the restaurant industry's service to the public through education, community engagement and promotion of career opportunities. The NRAEF works to attract, develop and retain a career-oriented professional workforce for the restaurant industry. In 2016, the restaurant and foodservice industry is projected to comprise one million outlets and a workforce of 14.4 million employees, making it the nation's second largest private sector employer. For more information on the NRAEF, visit NRAEF.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/outstanding-educators-honored-by-national-restaurant-association-educational-foundation-300272360.html
SOURCE National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation