BROOMFIELD, Colo., April 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Within the next five years, viewership hours of live-linear streaming over-the-top (OTT) video will surpass those of traditional broadcast TV, according to close to 70 percent of respondents in the 2017 OTT Video Services Study by Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE: LVLT), Streaming Media and Unisphere Research. The third annual survey on OTT trends was based on responses from almost 500 media industry professionals.
Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8085051-level-3-ott-video-services-study/
Learn more about the trends shaping the OTT industry. Read the study here: http://lvlt.co/2017OTTStudy
- The OTT industry is booming. More than a quarter of participants expect OTT year-over-year revenue growth 2016 to 2017 to increase as much as 25 percent, and about half of respondents anticipate growth of anywhere between 30 to 50 percent.
- Over the next three years, OTT-related services will account for more than a quarter of their overall business, according to nearly two-thirds of respondents.
- In a change from prior years, the 2017 study found bandwidth limitation challenges are giving way to concerns around quality of service and quality of experience.
- Almost 70 percent of respondents offer OTT services globally or across more than one geographic region, and, accordingly, about half of respondents employ multiple CDNs, up from 40 percent in 2016.
- While VR-video garnered notable attention in the 2016 OTT Study, this year's respondents are focused on both higher frame rates (HFR) and high-dynamic ranges (HDR), with almost half of respondents offering or planning to offer both options. An additional 20 percent are focusing only on HFR delivery, such as 1080p60, which is often used to smooth out sports content.
- OTT-provider maturity level affects the type of video content being offered and planned. Less mature providers are most interested in live events and video-on-demand (VOD) content, while the more mature providers with current OTT service offerings demonstrate more affinity for live-linear OTT, either today or as a planned offering within the next two years.
Tim Siglin, Contributing Editor for Streaming Media Magazine and Principal Report Author
"This year's OTT Video Services study reveals clear growth in the OTT marketplace, with survey responses overwhelmingly projecting OTT viewership will exceed traditional broadcast TV viewership by 2020. The maturation of OTT video delivery reflects key changes in the industry, including fewer bandwidth constraints and the important role live-event and live-linear OTT distribution will play as we transition from VOD-only services to those that more closely mimick traditional broadcast delivery."
Anthony Christie, Chief Marketing Officer, Level 3
"Viewers continue to show they want the flexibility to consume content on multiple screens. To keep pace with this shift, content providers need more than pure-play CDN solutions. They need high-performance network solutions that can scale as their customer base grows in size and geography to deliver a consistent, reliable experience – whenever they want, wherever they are and on any device they choose."
For more information on Level 3's advanced network and service offerings, visit www.level3.com.
About Level 3 Communications
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE: LVLT) is a Fortune 500 company that provides local, national and global communications services to enterprise, government and carrier customers. Level 3's comprehensive portfolio of secure, managed solutions includes fiber and infrastructure solutions; IP-based voice and data communications; wide-area Ethernet services; video and content distribution; data center and cloud-based solutions. Level 3 serves customers in more than 500 markets in over 60 countries across a global services platform anchored by owned fiber networks on three continents and connected by extensive undersea facilities. For more information, please visit www.level3.com or get to know us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
© Level 3 Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Level 3, Vyvx, Level 3 Communications, Level (3) and the Level 3 Logo are either registered service marks or service marks of Level 3 Communications, LLC and/or one of its Affiliates in the United States and elsewhere. Any other service names, product names, company names or logos included herein are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. Level 3 services are provided by subsidiaries of Level 3 Communications, Inc.
Some statements made in this press release are forward-looking in nature and are based on management's current expectations or beliefs. These forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside Level 3's control, which could cause actual events to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the statements. Important factors that could prevent Level 3 from achieving its stated goals include, but are not limited to, the company's ability to: increase revenue from its services to realize its targets for financial and operating performance; develop and maintain effective business support systems; manage system and network failures or disruptions; avert the breach of its network and computer system security measures; develop new services that meet customer demands and generate acceptable margins; manage the future expansion or adaptation of its network to remain competitive; defend intellectual property and proprietary rights; manage risks associated with continued uncertainty in the global economy; manage continued or accelerated decreases in market pricing for communications services; obtain capacity for its network from other providers and interconnect its network with other networks on favorable terms; successfully integrate future acquisitions; effectively manage political, legal, regulatory, foreign currency and other risks it is exposed to due to its substantial international operations; mitigate its exposure to contingent liabilities; and meet all of the terms and conditions of its debt obligations. Additional information concerning these and other important factors can be found within Level 3's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Statements in this press release should be evaluated in light of these important factors. Level 3 is under no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any such obligation to, update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/over-the-top-video-will-overtake-tv-within-five-years-300442307.html
SOURCE Level 3 Communications, Inc.