Over Two Thirds of Women Shop for Deals Because They Want to, Not Because They Have to, According to ALL YOU Survey
-- An Overwhelming Majority (90%) of Women Say that if They Became a Millionaire Tomorrow, They Would Still Be Bargain Hunters
-- Smart Shoppers are Device Junkies: Nearly Two Thirds (62%) Look for Deals on Their Mobile Devices
-- More Than Half (56%) Would Give up Sex for Six Months to Save $2,500
-- ALL YOU Announces First-Ever America's Smartest Shopper Video Contest
NEW YORK, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Smart shopping is rewarding, and it's not just about dollars saved. Over two-thirds of women (68%) shop for deals because they want to, not because they have to, according to an exclusive survey of 2,600 women between the ages of 21-59, released today by Time Inc.'s ALL YOU, the premier smart shopping brand that helps women enjoy life for less. Survey results are featured in the March issue and on: allyou/smartshopping. Follow us on Twitter @allyou #AllYouSmartestShopper
The crashing economy, ballooning consumer debt, growth of tech tools, and popularity of daily deals have contributed to the rise of the smart shopping movement. Americans have recalibrated their spending, making smart shopping the new normal. It's here to stay. New findings from the ALL YOU survey show just how big this movement is:
- Nine out of 10 women (107 million women in America) consider themselves smart shoppers
- 90% admit that if they became a millionaire tomorrow, they would still hunt for deals
- The majority of women surveyed (88%) say getting a bargain is worth bragging about
In tandem with the release of the survey results, ALL YOU is now on the hunt for America's Smartest Shopper. To enter this nationwide contest, consumers are asked to submit a 60-second video describing their favorite smart shopping strategy and a deal that put this strategy to work.
Survey findings include:
Technology is the Smart Shopper's Lifeline
- Smart shoppers are device junkies: Nearly two thirds (62%) look for deals on their mobile devices
- Over half (61%) search for deals on their smartphone while shopping in store
- A full 70% check deal websites or e-mail on their mobile device every day
- Sharing the wealth: An overwhelming majority (83%) forward good deals to friends and family
Women Would Sacrifice Time and Sex to Save
- 7 in 10 women (71%) would give up an hour a day if it meant saving money
- Over half (56%) would give up sex for six months to save $2,500
Brand Loyalty: Nearly all (94%) look for ways to buy the brands they love at the best price
Although the desire to be strategic unites all smart shoppers, the survey uncovered three distinct archetypes who differ in motivation and technique:
1. The Super Saver: (Mantra: Saving money is part of my DNA) (38% of the total)
- Born & Bred: Taught to save by her mom, she's seen as a social influencer among her friends
- Many are on-the-go moms, 9 in 10 check for deals online before they go shopping
- Over half (60%) use Facebook to research and share shopping deals
2. The Committed Convert: Mantra: I'm learning the skills to save so I can spend) (25%)
- The economy inspired her to shop smart. She saves to splurge on her family and herself
- 82% read online reviews. She seeks savings advice and likes using coupons
- 85% say good deals help justify her spending
3. The Strategic Splurger: (Mantra: How I save time and money is my little secret) (37%)
- She buys luxury brands for less and tends to splurge
- She likes finding deals but doesn't want to be seen doing it
- 64% will spend more to save time; over half (58%) are so over getting daily deals in her inbox
Consumers can take an online quiz to determine what kind of smart shopper they are. ALL YOU editors and a panel of savings experts will select eight finalists for the America's Smartest Shopper contest based on: Skill displayed in the savings strategy; creativity of the deal; savings, considering the percentage saved, and video presentation or the video's ability to engage the viewer.
Finalists' videos will be showcased on allyou.com from April 15 to May 24, 2013 where users can vote for their favorite. A grand-prize winner will receive a $1,000 cash card, become a guest blogger on allyou.com and be profiled in the magazine. Two runners-up will win $250. The public can vote once per day and will be entered into a weekly sweeps for gift cards to popular retailers such as Dunkin' Donuts, Olive Garden, JC Penney, Walgreens, Target and Walmart.
The judging panel for the ALL YOU America's Smartest Shopper contest is:
- Jill Cataldo , savings columnist and founder, Super-Couponing workshops
- Rachel Holland , blogger, SurvivingtheStores.com
- Clark Howard , host, The Clark Howard Show, and co-host, HLN's Evening Express
- Stephanie Nelson , founder, Couponmom.com
- Shannon Shaffer , creator, FortheMommas.com
- Farnoosh Torabi , host, Financially Fit on Yahoo
Survey Methodology: The survey was conducted online by Insight Strategy Group, an accredited research and strategy firm using a nationally representative sample of 2,600 women between the ages of 21-59 who have children ranging from 0-17 years old with an income of at least $35K.
The ALL YOU brand, geared to the value-driven woman, helps women enjoy life for less. Published by the Time Inc. Lifestyle Group, ALL YOU was named to ADWEEK's Hotlist for magazines 10 Under $50-$60 million for four consecutive years (2007-2010), won ADWEEK's Reader's Choice poll for hottest women's magazine for two consecutive years and ranked #3 on Advertising Age's A-List in 2010. ALLYOU.com is a one-stop savings destination delivering money-saving tips, exclusive coupons, discounts and local grocery deals. ALL YOU is now available on all tablets.
SOURCE ALL YOU Magazine
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.