PA Awarded $6.5 Million Grant to Help Students with Disabilities Learn
HARRISBURG, Pa., Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania Department of Education has been awarded a $6.5 million federal grant to provide professional development for educators who provide special education services to students with disabilities.
"Ensuring that educators who work with children with disabilities have the resources and training necessary to focus on the needs of their students is of the utmost importance," Secretary of Education Ron Tomalis said. "I am pleased Pennsylvania has received this funding, which will ultimately benefit students across the state."
The five-year program provides funding to states to enhance professional development for special education personnel.
Pennsylvania educators and school leaders will receive intensive and ongoing training to establish goals, provide effective instruction and ensure that all Pennsylvania students graduate from high school with the skills to be successful.
The professional development provided will ensure that:
- Educators know and can effectively teach to the Pennsylvania Common Core academic standards;
- Educators plan and deliver effective instruction that meet the needs of Pennsylvania's students;
- School leaders have the ability to implement policies, practices and procedures that support the learning of all students;
- Students demonstrate growth and achievement in English, language arts and math;
- Students can effectively participate and engage in learning, using communication supports and technology;
- Parents have high expectations of achievement for students; and
- Institutions of higher education prepare future educators and leaders with the necessary training.
"The Department of Education is committed to all students, including those with disabilities, learning the Pennsylvania Common Core academic standards," Tomalis said.
Media Contact: Tim Eller, 717-783-9802
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Education
More by this Source
Pennsylvania's Acting Secretary of Education Announces Updates to School Performance Profile
Dec 11, 2013, 14:43 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.