PA State Police Participate in Multi-Agency Motor Coach Enforcement Effort; 21 Motor Coaches Placed Out of Service
HARRISBURG, Pa., Dec. 29, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania State Police recently participated in a five-day enforcement effort inspecting motor coaches, State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan announced today.
State and municipal motor carrier enforcement personnel, including Philadelphia and Pittsburgh police officers and Public Utility Commission staff, inspected 218 motor coaches at popular travel destinations such as casinos and amusement parks throughout Pennsylvania.
Between Dec. 17 and Dec. 23, enforcement personnel placed a total of 21 motor coaches and five drivers out of service for various safety violations.
"This weeklong strike force was part of a nationwide effort to reduce motor coach crashes and ensure the safety of those citizens who use this method of travel," said Noonan. "Roadway safety is the top priority of the Pennsylvania State Police and motor coach enforcement efforts will increase the safety for all drivers traveling on Pennsylvania's highways."
Visit Pennsylvania State Police online at www.psp.state.pa.us.
Media contacts: Maria A. Finn or Sgt. Anthony Manetta, 717-783-5556
Editor's Note: The following is a breakdown, by State Police troop area, of the number of motor coaches inspected; number of vehicles and drivers placed out of service; citations and warnings issued by state police only:
- Troop B (Allegheny, Fayette, Greene and Washington counties), 38 inspections; two vehicles out of service; no drivers out of service; one citation; 28 warnings.
- Troop H (Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Perry and York counties), 37 inspections; three vehicles placed out of service; two drivers out of service; eight citations; 20 warnings.
- Troop J (Chester and Lancaster counties), 24 inspections; six vehicles out of service; two drivers out of service; 12 citations; 26 warnings.
- Troop K (Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties), 25 inspections; no vehicles out of service; no drivers out of service; no citations; seven warnings.
- Troop M (Bucks, Lehigh and Northampton counties), 33 inspections; three vehicles out of service; no drivers out of service; 14 citations; 29 warnings.
SOURCE Pennsylvania State Police Department