ParkIndy and Streetline Bring Smart Parking Technology to Indianapolis Parking System Implemented by Xerox Uses Latest Technology
FOSTER CITY, Calif. and INDIANAPOLIS, March 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Streetline, Inc. (www.streetline.com) and ParkIndy, a public-private partnership between the city and Xerox, are now making it easier to find parking in Indianapolis. Using Streetline's sensor-enabled Smart Parking system, Parker™, a free smartphone app, motorists can see open parking spaces in real-time, reducing the time and energy spent searching for elusive parking.
Sensors embedded in the pavement detect when spaces are available. Parker provides the location and general availability of spaces through the use of web-enabled devices, such as a smartphone, PC, or tablet. Once parked, motorists can use the app's built-in timer to track of how much time is left on the meter, or access walking directions to help find their parking space when they need to return to their vehicle.
"Our goal is to take the pain out of parking," said David Cummins, vice president parking and justice solutions, Xerox. "We created a customized solution offering credit-card accepting meters, pay-by-phone technology and now new directional guidance apps from Streetline to make parking easier than ever in Indianapolis."
Some of the notable features of Parker include:
- Real-time information in select areas of the City to guide consumers to open and available curbside parking spaces; Parker updates automatically when a car is parked or leaves
- "Follow me" navigation with a native map application to guide motorists to their chosen parking destination
- Easy access to rates, hours and time limits for metered and on-street parking where available
- The ability to enter an address within Parker and view parking options nearest to that destination
- Mark areas on the Parker map to keep track of where a car is parked (and later get guidance back to the car), set reminders, take a picture of a car and take notes about the location. Parker also saves parking history data for easy access later
- Rate and comment on parking locations and set reminders noting great locations
- Option to register and pay for parking via mobile payment partner Parkmobile
"ParkIndy chose Streetline to bring the latest parking technology to the City of Indianapolis," said Zia Yusuf, CEO of Streetline. "By deploying Streetline's patented sensor-technology, including the award-winning consumer app Parker, ParkIndy is paving the way to introduce one of the most advanced parking systems in the United States—and making searching for parking for Indianapolis drivers a thing of the past."
In Indianapolis the system is currently deployed along more than 550 individual parking spots along Mass Avenue, Broad Ripple, and near Monument Circle with plans to install additional sensors throughout downtown and Broad Ripple later this year.
Xerox leads a team, including Streetline, to implement a similar system in Los Angeles. Xerox has successfully managed, and operated parking systems in more than 30 cities in the United States and 88 jurisdictions in the United Kingdom during the past 30 years. Xerox is the largest provider of transportation services to governments worldwide, with projects in more than 30 countries.
Parker™ is available as a free download at iTunes and the Android Market.
About Streetline, Inc.
Streetline's mission is to make Smart Cities a reality through the use of sensor-enabled mobile and web applications. As the leading global provider of Smart Parking solutions for cities, airports, universities, private garages, and consumers, Streetline's pioneering technology connects citizens with critical information to improve the way they live and work, while making cities more efficient and lessening their environmental impact.
Streetline is a privately held company headquartered in Foster City, Calif. with Smart-Parking deployments in California, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Washington D.C. The company was recently named one of Fast Company's 10 Most Innovative Companies in Transportation.
SOURCE Streetline, Inc.