Parks Associates: Apple challenges Google's dominance in smartphones as iPhone 5 nears release New Mobile Research on iPhone vs. Android in User Satisfaction
DALLAS, Sept. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As Apple prepares to release its new iPhone model, new research from Parks Associates shows the iPhone leads its rivals in customer satisfaction, with 75% of its owners "very satisfied" with their handset versus 61% of Android phone owners.
The firm's Untapped Consumer Opportunities for Mobile Services reveals 34% of U.S. smartphone shoppers from households with an annual income of $50,000-$75,000, surveyed in July 2012, plan to purchase an iPhone. The same percentage plan to buy a Google Android phone, whereas last year, only 24% planned to purchase an iPhone versus 39% in favor of an Android phone. Similarly, smartphone shoppers with a four-year college degree, who once favored Google over Apple, now put the iPhone on top.
"The iPhone scores higher than Android in user satisfaction in virtually all surveyed features, but Android phones have ruled the market due to lower costs," said John Barrett, Director, Consumer Analytics, Parks Associates. "However, a sixth-generation iPhone will reduce the prices of previous models and draw even more attention to the brand, expanding its appeal to other consumer segments."
- 74% of iPhone users are very satisfied with their phone's ability to run apps, versus 59% among Android users
- 69% are very satisfied with the music and video content available on the iPhone, versus 58% among Android users
- 71% are very satisfied with the apps available for the iPhone, versus 60% among Android users
The research firm announced data on several of the expected new features of the iPhone 5, including:
- 4G/LTE: Parks Associates' research shows nearly 50% of U.S. smartphone users consider 4G/LTE access as very important when choosing a mobile service provider.
- Improved Siri functions: Over 75% of U.S. users of Apple iPhone 4S are satisfied with the Siri voice-command feature.
- Apple's Passbook, a mobile-wallet app: Nearly 50% of smartphone owners find the mobile wallet concept appealing.
Parks Associates' Mobile and Portable Service analyzes the market for smartphones, tablets, and similar devices. Analysts are available for comment on the iPhone launch. Contact Mindi Sternblitz-Rubenstein at 972.996.0212, Mindi.Sue@ParksAssociates.com
About Parks Associates
Parks Associates is an internationally recognized market research and consulting company specializing in emerging consumer technology products and services. http://www.parksassociates.com
SOURCE Parks Associates