Pennsylvania Agriculture Secretary Invites Public to Largest Livestock Show in the Eastern U.S.
HARRISBURG, Pa., Sept. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Some of the best livestock in the nation will be on display at the 56th Keystone International Livestock Exposition, or KILE, held Sept. 29 – Oct. 7, at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center in Harrisburg.
"I am honored to welcome nearly 1,000 exhibitors to Pennsylvania to the largest livestock show on the East Coast," said Secretary of Agriculture George Greig . "KILE offers Pennsylvania livestock producers the chance to showcase their livestock on a national level. I look forward to seeing the more than 3,500 quality animals exhibited this week."
This year's show will feature 1,300 beef cattle, 500 horses, 1,200 sheep and 500 swine exhibited by producers from 31 states.
Young farmers will exhibit their top animals and compete in livestock judging contests. Nearly half of the exhibitors are under the age of 21.
"KILE gives our young people the chance to demonstrate their skills and learn more about the livestock industry, giving them the tools they'll need to be the next generation of agriculture leaders." said Greig.
Cooking contests are on tap and open to the public as part of the fifth-annual Keystone Classic Barbeque Contest:
- Hoss's Steak and Sea House and Pennsylvania Beef Council Great Ground Beef and the Weaver's Award-Winning Bologna contests – Friday, Oct. 5. Cooking begins at 6 p.m. and evaluation starts at 7 p.m.
- Kansas City Barbeque Society events – All day Saturday, Oct. 6, with the winners announced at 4:30 p.m. The contest features society masters competing for the Pennsylvania State Cup and $7,250 in prizes by preparing chicken, pork, pork ribs and beef brisket barbeque.
- Bell & Evans "Best Legs in Town" people's choice barbeque contest –Saturday, Oct. 6. Stop by from noon to 1:30 p.m. to taste the entries and cast your vote for the best barbeque chicken legs.
During the cooking events, a PA Preferred® beer garden will feature six local brewing companies. The hours are Friday, Oct. 5, from 4-9 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 6, from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Blues bands will play Saturday from noon-4 p.m.
Other highlights of the seven-day KILE include:
- Opening ceremonies at 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, in the Sale Arena, with a welcome from Greig;
- Twenty-nine cattle shows featuring 14 breeds, 28 sheep shows with 14 breeds, and 11 swine shows with nine breeds; four animal sales are also planned with 20 breeds of sheep, swine and beef cattle;
- Keystone Lead Line, a contest where young people are in a fashion show with their lambs, will be held Saturday, Oct. 6, at 1:30 p.m;
- Agri-Kid Olympics will be held at noon, and Pedal Power Pull at 3 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 6;
- The fifth annual Young Beef Exhibitors Benefit Auction will again offer its proceeds to the Beef Scholarship program, providing two young beef exhibitors with $1,000 and $500 scholarships at 2:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 6.
- The Farm City Day event will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 4. Nearly 600 local elementary students will learn about agriculture through hands-on activities.
KILE relies on generous sponsorships to operate the show including some of this year's prime sponsors: AgriLabs, Allflex, Boehringer Ingelheim, Campbell Show Calves, Chapman Corporation, Pennsylvania Equine Council, Pfizer Animal Health and Southern States in addition to EMM Sales & Service Inc., of Brownstown, Lancaster County, which will sponsor the supreme champion awards for beef, sheep and swine for the sixth year.
The show is open to the public with free admission and parking.
For more information and a complete show schedule, visit www.keystoneinternational.state.pa.us or call 717-787-2905.
Media Contact: Nicole L. C. Bucher , 717-787-5085
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
More by this Source
Outdoor Farmers Market to Open May 7 at PA Farm Show Complex
May 03, 2013, 11:25 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.